Fedora Server S.M.A.R.T. Daemon Setup Email Notification

So I was in the middle of getting annoyed with some Freenas permissions with Docker on a VM when I came across a Youtube video of Wendell saying he as going to make a file server using Fedora and ZFS. Given that Fedora is my distro of choice anyway, I decided to install Fedora instead, then subsequently ‘ZFS on Linux’ (plus I wouldn’t have to run a VM in Freenas anymore, because that sucks). My mind completely blew up when the ZFS pool from Freenas imported with zero issues, and I have all my services except for SMB sharing up and running at this point.

The last bit that I’d like to get set up is SMART monitoring of the storage drives. After a quick search, I see smartmontools is the linux go-to. Looking through the /etc/smartmontools/smartd.conf, I see that what I probably want to do is this:

/dev/sdb -a -o on -S on -s (S/…/…/./04|L/…/…/6/05) -m [email protected]
/dev/sdc -a -o on -S on -s (S/…/…/./04|L/…/…/6/05) -m [email protected]
/dev/sdd -a -o on -S on -s (S/…/…/./04|L/…/…/6/05) -m [email protected]

and comment out the line

DEVICESCAN -H -m root -M exec /usr/libexec/smartmontools/smartdnotify -n standby,10,q

and then switch on the daemon. All three are WD Red SATA drives.

Is that it? If anyone has any input, it’d be very welcome.

Do you already have your outgoing mail setup?

I don’t yet, no. I’ll get at it when I’m back home. I kind of want an idea of what I’m doing or any best practices when I get going on it. I’ve seen a few articles online, but would like some more personal experience if possible.

1 Like

Glancing at your smartd.conf excerpts, it looks like it should work or you’re at least on the right track. You might want to identify the drives by uuid though.

I usually reference the arch wiki for smartd.

Don’t forget to start and enable smartd…

I suggest setting up a monitoring tool like Monit, so you can monitor all sorts of stuff. Google for “monit smart” then install that check.

Thanks you two! I’ll be checking out both those links. Got a little busy lately.