Fedora Atomic Workstation?

What do people think about Fedora Atomic Workstation?

Just like Atomic Host, Atomic Workstation uses RPM-OSTree as its update manager. However, Atomic Workstation is geared towards all the same use cases that the regular Workstation Edition is meant to fulfill. Though there are some differences between the two beyond the update model.

In an Atomic Workstation, desktop applications are shipped and run as flatpaks, and development mostly happens inside containers. For example, you may have a pet container with your development environment set up as well as an oc cluster up OpenShift cluster to develop server applications.

It was only a matter of time. Flatpacks and snaps are the way to the future with linux. Everything in its own self contained little box that has greater security without all of the problems of maintaining libraries and compatibility.

4 Likes

Agreed, this is the way to go.

Solus 4 will actually only use flatpaks / snaps for applications this way. Especially 3rd party.

1 Like

It’s the way to go for production. We’ve already adopted something like this on our production instances. On dev machines, it might be a bit more time before we adopt it.

Would you be able to guide me on getting started a bit better than the documentation does? I have a DO droplet with Fedora 27 Atomic. I want to try and set it up to have Sonarr, Emby, Sabnzbdplus, Radarr, and nzbhydra running in containers along with my LVM2 array in a storage array that can be accessed by Sonarr, Sab, Radarr and Emby.

I understand I can make my own Atomic containers based on Docker containers? are they different somehow?

Wait, is this true? Where’d that come out?

It was in one of the blog posts. Solus 4 hasn’t come out yet. Although that’s what Ikey said will be the new way of doing things.

It’ll be like BSD systems that have SYSADM. Very handy.

Yeah. I guess people realized that maintaining a huge list of packages with many moving parts would be arduous.

2 Likes

The Software Center for Solus 4 will still introduce a fresh design and integrate all the work we’ve done in Linux Driver Management to provide an improved hardware support and driver installation experience. This Software Center will also utilize the plugin-based architecture that Ikey had worked on during his time at Ubuntu Rally last September, and this will simplify the process of implementing and enabling snapd integration in a future update.

So snapd integration.

1 Like

Ah, I hadn’t read that one. Thanks!

1 Like