Fedora 37 Multimedia Codec Problem

Hey,

So recently I found a YT video in my feed about a new feature when compiling mesa drivers that effectively allows distribution maintainers to disable hardware acceleration support in the driver.

This is important because I recently switched to Fedora, and I did not know about this until I watched this video. (Thanks Brodie Robertson for that information).

I followed the instructions to try to enable these HW acceleration features on my Radeon GPU in Fedora 37, but apparently I haven’t succeeded because Firefox crashes soon after it loads VA-API. Does anyone more experienced with Fedora know how I can fix this issue?

Here’s a rundown of what happens to cause Firefox crash.

[linuxdragon@FirnenMachine ~]$firefox
libva info: VA-API version 1.16.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_16
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Gdk-Message: 16:16:04.976: Lost connection to Wayland compositor.
Exiting due to channel error.
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[C0][GFX1-]: Receive IPC close with reason=AbnormalShutdown (t=33.6625) Exiting due to channel error.

This is reproducible by loading a website that subsequently loads the VA-API. It doesn’t cause a crash immediately, but if I keep playing video on that website for long enough, it will cause Firefox to crash.

2 Likes

Oh, by following some links, I was able to find this page from the Fedora Wiki:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firefox_Hardware_acceleration#Configure_VA-API_Video_decoding_on_AMD

Hopefully this helps others who may need this. My system seemed to accept the commands and change some things; but I don’t know if it’s fixed my Firefox crashing problem, so only time will tell.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I am still getting crashes from Firefox seemingly due to the multimedia codec problem. Keep in mind that this only happens on my Radeon-based system. I have an Intel-based laptop that doesn’t suffer from this problem at all, and most everything else is equal. For example, I use a user.js file in my Firefox profiles for each system that is identical, both systems are running Fedora KDE edition, and both use Wayland.