Fedora 28, Windows 10 VM install problems

Great to hear!

One more question then, if I do not setup hardware passthrough at first for the WindowsVM, how will it work with the GPU drivers on Windows and Linux?

Will it cause any issues?

I’m also going to be building a new computer for my wife soon which I plan to make very similar to mine. She does graphic design so I am goign to be doing a 2700(non X) CPU and giving her my GPU and getting myself a new one.

WIll run Linux for both of us and Windows VMs for her programs as well so I am using my computer as a test bed.

I may also change over to Manjaro since I think that may be a better choice for her with the rolling updates. Still going to use the KDE desktop though…

Windows will detect the GPU after you attach it and will get basic drivers for it until you download the drivers from nvidia/amd site.

If she’s not as technically minded as you are, I highly recommend against this. It’s complicated and if it breaks, which it will, she’s not going to be happy.

I believe Fedora is a better option than Manjaro if you’re looking for stability, but it’s your decision in the end.

I have no issue with sticking with Fedora.

My reasoning was simply that the rolling updates may be better for her but Fedora does a good job of updating without having to set everything up every time.

She definitely is not as tech savy as I am but she is not a big fan of Windows and is also sick of OSX and how Apple eventually makes her computer obsolete. She is currently working off of a Macbook Air(2013) and it wont stay connected to her printer and it also wont allow her to update it anymore.

So I was thinking of going with KDE w/ App Dock of some sort for her. I could also do Gnome but since I use KDE I thought it would be better to keep things similar.

She is going to start using GIMP and Inkscape for work and then just using the Windows VM for Adobe since some websites that she works off of only take those file formats…

CUPS will connect like crazy. I remember back in college when I would plug my laptop up to an ethernet jack and it would automatically detect every printer in the dorm. I would get like 500 notifications at once…

1 Like