[Fedora 28] Computer freezing when restarting NetworkManager and problems with PEAP wifi

Hi all,
I am experiencing some problems with NetworkManager on Fedora 28. I am trying to connect to a Protected EAP (PEAP) network on my XPS 13, but it constantly gives me trouble. The network is reachable for about 30 - 60 seconds when I log in, but then it goes down. I then restart NetworkManager (sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager). Sometimes this fixes the problem for a little bit, but other times it immediately freezes my entire computer. I can’t SSH in (the network is down), move my mouse, use the keyboard, or switch TTY.

It appears to stop working randomly, not after 60 seconds. I got it to stay working by resetting the connection before it failed and make a new configuration, but when my laptop went to sleep, it wouldn’t wake up, and I had to manually do a hard reset

Just out of curiousity, did you start experiencing this after you did package updates? I’ve seen a few Call Traces for network drivers in a few different places whose systems I manage within the past week, but I’m not generally there unless something goes wrong, so I always catch the tail end of the problem.

For the most extreme issues, a power drain seemed to do the trick (power down, unplug for 30 secs). I’m wondering if a package was pushed that wasn’t properly configured. That’s the only common point for the issues I’ve seen, unless there was a freak coincidence of network issues in multiple places from user error all at once.

If you don’t have this issue, you might want to check that you don’t have conflicting network configurations. (/etc/resolv.conf vs /etc/resolvconf/ might be a clue, usually you only have one or the other)

I think it may have been after a package upgrade, but it has happened so many times after I updated I am not sure exactly when the issue started.

If it helps at all this is the ping I ran when I logged in:

And this is the status bar in the top right corner after the network fails:
Screenshot%20from%202018-06-29%2010-22-38