Fedora 27 problem running NVIDIA RTX gpus

So, my workstation has recently gotten a significant upgrade, which basicly excludes all non-Server Windows versions.
I would like to run fedora, so I installed fedora 28, 29, 30 beta respectively.
However I need the ability to compile tensorflow-gpu v1.12!

First problem: fedora 28, 29 & 30 comes with gcc version 8/9, so I compiled gcc 7 however bazel (futhermore i cannot compile tf-gpu 1.12 with the most recent bazel Versions on fedora) did not like that at all. So I’ve come to the conclusion that I need a fedora version which ships with gcc 7 so fedora 27 it is. During the testing the Nvidia driver 418 worked fine with my rtx 2060, cuda and cudnn all installed and i could run tf-gpu version 2 projects just fine.

So I installed fedora 27 with a gt710 because the installer does not like rtx cards, as fedora 28 and 29 - atleast the kde spin

My actual Issue: Did all updates and installed the nvidia driver 418 and I get just the cursor on black background. so than I tried installing the nvidia drivers again on a fresh install, following this guide: https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
Same issue.
So i complied kernel 5.0.6 because that worked on fedora 29/30beta perfectly with the rtx 2060
Same issue I get stuck after the fedora boot animation. Just a black screen with the cursor.
In some forum post it was suggested to disable the intel igpu - i’ve got a vga IPMI solution form aspeed so i disabled that, however I saw it in the dmesg and same issue. I could probably blacklist the device id, but it worked on fedora 29/30 without it disabled.

Dmesg: https://pastebin.com/LtPz1hXn

Help would be very much appreciated :slight_smile: )

Uhhhhh okay…

Is there a reason you can’t use v1.13? Also, is all of tensorflow locked to gcc7?

Seems to me like Tensorflow is the issue here, not Fedora.

Use this repo. I have had nothing but success with this repo.

I’ve found that the Nvidia drivers like the displays to be plugged into the most powerful gpu you have. IDK why, but that’s just how it is. So put that in your UEFI boot slot and attach the displays to it.

Yes it has to be specificly tf 1.12. And I need gcc7 for cuda 10.0 because it doesn’t allow gcc <=7.
I know cuda 10.1 does support gcc8 but on fedora 29 all easily available bazel versions are to new for tf 1.12 and will not compile

Okay, use Debian or CentOS. They’ve got older toolchains.

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but frankly, to build gcc7 on your system and have it properly interoperable, you’ll be building a whole toolchain. That’s definitely doable, but it’s easier to just use a different distro that already provides what you need.

Centos provides gcc 4.8

Another option would be to use docker.

1 Like

That’s what I thought and I know ubuntu is an option, and would probably work well.
But I’m just curious why the rtx cards don’t work on fedora 27,at least for me. With that said I haven’t tried the negativo17 repo. I’ll try it soon

Because Nvidia sucks when it comes to working with the rest of the Linux ecosystem to provide drivers for their hardware.

There’s a reason the Linus meme exists.

Nvidia truly is the worst company when it comes to building good drivers. They have the same problems on Windows.

I’m curious about this statement… You have a workstation with more than 6TB of ram and/or more than 4 cpu sockets?

1 Like

Does such a machine exist?

Highest socket count I know of is the quad socket Xeons…

1 Like

Supermicro x10qbi @ the moment 3x xeon e7-8890v3 and to my knowledge windows 10 is socket limit 2

Our school had an older server that had 6 physical cpu’s and those were quad core. Course this was back in like the early 00’s.

the Xeon e7 88xx v2/3/4 support also 8 socket systems but those are server solutions and not a standalone board

Windows for Workstations, limit is four sockets, 6tb of ram. Same for Windows Enterprise.

Is that so?! Can I use the win10 nvidia driver?
Also I tried fedora 26 had no issues

Yes it’s normal windows 10 just with more hardware support. Not a free upgrade however. Check the windows store, that is how you upgrade.

1 Like

If your pockets are extra deep you can even run nv-ram dimms. Keep Crysis in ram ready to run at all times.

1 Like

My pockets are fairly emtry, I’m a student :smiley: