Fears Grow of Terror in U.S. With Weaponized Civilian Drones

That didn't take long. Only a couple of months after ISIS started publishing drone vids of them dropping shuttlecock bombs from drones in Syria/Iraq, now we get the scaremongering until the government goes for full-on restrictions.

Mildly graphic vid (no blood, bodies or anything. Bomb dropped on an occupied Humvee/explosion)

I'm surprised it took them that long TBH. People have been strapping guns to quadcopters for years now (as the 4 year old video below demonstrates), so explosives were the logical next step.

3 Likes

That one is fake, although this one is real:

2 Likes

As long as the savages think you get explosives from upwrapping fireworks and buying an aluminum pressure cooker there will be much bigger things to worry about.

Knew one chainsmoker who was scared to death of microwave ovens. Wouldn't own one and would leave a room if one got turned on:)

2 Likes

I'm more scared of autonomous vehicles filled to the brim with explosives on a one way trip tbh. Just goes to show... anything can be a weapon.

As @Garfield stated. It was CGI... You didn't pick up on all the over-the-top sarcasm in the video?

1 Like

This will absolutely affect drone regulations here in the states.... It's stupid but I have no doubt of it.

I'm glad i got into KAP instead of drones. There are so many positives over drones.

whats a KAP?

I wonder when going outside will be illegal? Because that's dangerous too.

Kite Aerial Photography.

A hobby that's almost as old as cameras.

Much more people friendly and nobody calls the cops on a kite.

1 Like

Nope, must have missed it completely.
TBH I barely paid attention to it back when it was new and only looked up the URL when this thread started. I didn't even watch the video in the last few years.

Still, pretty sure there are older similar vids out there that are real.

inb4

1 Like

I imagine its less expensive as well.

Significantly.

You can do anything from shoe-string budget with mechanical timers attached to disposable cameras to live video feeds with massive kites.
I'm doing the later... I'm in about $200ish for the whole gig not including the camera.

I've got a 9' delta style kite and built all the rest myself.

(The electronics are a bit messy atm, I plan on figuring out a neater way to mount all that mess...)

My best pic so-far.
I've only had opportunity to take it out a few times so-far.

\On Topic

I went to the beach with some friends and one had a huge drone he built. Only he could fly it and he got about 20m flight time before his batteries were dead. He was very nervous to fly it with so many people around and it attracted a lot of unwanted attention. People tend to duck and stair when it flies over head. They always sound like they're lower than they are because there's nothing blocking the sound between you and drone.

When he was done I broke out the kite and everybody was involved. I set it up and spend the whole time giving the controller and line reel to friends so they could try it out. (the kite has a very heavy pull so it's kinda impressive). Everybody got to give it a go and take pics. Random strangers also stopped by to comment on how high I got the kite. It was a 100% positive experience vs the drone that had many downsides.

(for filming / photography....)

Drone Pros

• Can zip around and get moving footage.
  • More control for video as you can move around. (you can walk around with a kite and reel it in/out but it's not the same) ... both kite and drone can aim a camera the same providing they both use a gimbal.

Drone Cons

• Limited flight time
  • Makes people uncomfortable with the noise of an angry bee nest and 4-8 spinning blades of death.
  • Often people call the cops on drones or the cops simply stop to see if you're a prof filmer (cause you'll need a permit here in CA)
  • You can only trust yourself to fly it because the skill ceiling is so high and also repairs are expensive.
  • COST. They're freak'in expensive for something that can carry a DSLR. (or mirrorless dslr)
2 Likes

you almost tempt me to look into some EE stuff because that looks pretty cool. Have you done the math to figure out the size of the kite needed for the lift the object?

After doing hours of research before picking my kite... I found not a single person that has done scientific testing with kite sizes and pull forces.

I found LOTS of approximations and examples of what people can lift with what. So I have a good idea of what you would need.

The tricky bit is that it's all HIGHLY dependent on wind speed, flight angle, and kite stability in a given wind speed. There are kites made for low speed and some for high speed. Hardcore KAP peeps will bring 2-3 kites with them and fly the best one for the conditions.

I have a 9' delta style kite that was a $25 ebay special. It has a high attack angle (flys almost directly above you) so its lifting force is very efficient (lower angle will require more string tension to lift a given weight off the ground). My gimbal rig is somewhere close to 2lb and I can lift it comfortably in 10-15mph winds (that's about when the wind is 8-12mph on the ground).

My next kite will be a DIY 11' delta. I like the delta style because they are very versatile for wind speeds and once you get them up past 30' of string they are rock stable.

2 Likes