Favorite version of Linux

Been dabbling with Linux on a old laptop(Mint) and wanted to see what others like as there favorite Linux system. I feel I can just purge the system and try a few out.

Let me know thanks :slight_smile:

For more recent distros-- Manjaro
0 peripheral conflicts [K/M], during live test / install process

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion

I’ve been trying out Pop!_OS by System76, I’ve been very happy with it. It’s basically Ubuntu without all the Snap junk.

2 Likes

Linux mint is what I’ve been running since october and it’s been running just fine for me. I like the idea of manjaro being mor bleeding edge than mint but the cli commands don’t feel right for me for some reason.

1 Like

Ubuntu has usually been my go to over the last decade no matter what else I have tried but the desktop version had become a bit annoying with snaps, etc… So I jumped over to fedora last year when I got my framework which has been really great and I can say that it will be my new go to from now one

1 Like

Thanks for the opinions everyone

What is the current ram usage on manjaro?

We didn’t get off on a good start, but I like Mint (mainly because Cinnamon) for people crossing over from Windows more than Zorin or Pop_OS even though they’re all based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu has been doing some questionable things, which isn’t entirely their fault, but it IS the easiest base distro.

If you like deep diving, ArcoLinux (Arch based) is all about learning. They have multiple builds for tiers of education and pretty fair guides. Even so, Manjaro or Endeavour OS are so easily accessible for Arch derivatives.

All of the main base distros are good.

1 Like

Thank you for admitting that, will take a look at the options

PopOS and fedora are my main distro’s but my favorite has not been one i’ve experienced myself. A very well put together and neat arch based system from the ground up would be my favorite but for me personally right now i do not have the knowledge, experience or confidence to take that step.

Pop gives me the stability i need and having used linux exclusively the last few years, that (with a few exceptions heh) stability is worth a lot.

2 Likes

At this point you are also your own distributor and can mostly rely on yourself if something breaks. While I would install Arch from scratch as education measure I wouldn’t run this install as a productive system.

1 Like

I’m one of the 10 people he mentions in 2:53

2 Likes

Ubuntu is a seamless system OS. It doubles as a killer CLI/headless system too. PopOS is virtually identical.(as are so many debian based distros) Outside of 6 of my steam games, I can play my whole rest of my library in ubuntu.

I’ve tried hundreds of distros, Tails for browsing the web, Kali for pen testing, PopOS for the plebs, and Ubuntu on every computer, runs my servers, etc.

I really loved MATE enviroment distros a few years ago, and I ran Debian for my server OS before I moved into the Canonical theme I’m in today.

Fedora is really popular, I’ve been testing the RedHat world with Rocky Linux lately. Seems alright, not for everyday drivers IMO

2 Likes

I’ve had my own (i.e. non-shared) computers since about 2012 or so, and used on them a succession of distros:

• Started off with Crunchbang (based on Debian, and using a mostly monochromatic Openbox/tint2 desktop). It was very lightweight and snappy but eventually the maintainer decided to stop.
  • Next I moved to BunsenLabs, one of Crunchbang’s spiritual successors. It was fine but had lost its charme, and when I hit some multi-monitor issues, I switched again.
  • Used Mint Cinnamon for a while; it worked fine but felt heavy.
  • Switched to Solus Budgie, which worked very well, and was snappy. But I had discovered the joys of easy system maintenance using btrfs snapshots, and Solus devs refused to add consideration for btrfs users, so I switched again.
  • I remembered that back in the day, say late 90s/early 00s, KDE was considered slow and bloated but apparently had come a long way recently, so I tried KDE Neon (based on Ubuntu), and was positively surprised by its snappiness and lack of perceived bloatiness.

So, while I have been playing around with some other distros (notably MX Linux KDE edition, Manjaro KDE, and Manjaro Sway; the latter two on a Pinebook Pro), and would also like to dive further into Void Linux, Chimera Linux, and FreeBSD, for the last two years I’ve been happy enough with KDE Neon on my Dell Latitude 7490 with i7, 16GB RAM, and 500GB SSD.

1 Like

Well, my entry will be Fedora.

I work as a Java dev and like… reliability and not having to invest time into solving problems of the environment (I have my sandbox, and there’s enough of stuff there as is).

I tried Ubuntu (and Ubuntu is considered in some companies the only officially allowed Linux distro), then Manjaro → OpenSuse(survived the longest from that experience). Maybe there was something else there as well, but can’t remember. Any of them did not bring the needed level of stability (systems began to work clunky after a few month, errors after updates with LTS channel and so on).

And Fedora (at least Fedora 37, which I did not upgrade) has been sitting with me on my working laptop for the past 1.5 years. Some times I even reboot it (hehe).

1 Like

Bunsenlabs (Debian based) or Mabox (Manjaro / Arch Based) for older laptops / hardware.
Both uses Openbox windows manager which is super lean, but less flashy, and runs very snappy on 4GB RAM.

Ubuntu / Debian server editions for appliances / SBCs etc.

User friendly Arch (Manjaro / EndeavorOS) for daily drivers.
Easy to install and a rolling release so things work pretty well much sooner. Occasionally have to troubleshoot and update breaking something. However I have never spent more than 30 min to an hour searching a forum to fix an issue.

1 Like

Lots of things to consider here. Im definitely starting to see some commonality here with users and there favorites in distributions.

Also see some new ones I have not seen yet(there are soooo many lol)

Thanks everyone

1 Like

I wonder where the rest of the 9 NixOS users reside :rofl:

1 Like

No ricers here? Gentoo lover here, daily driving it for well over a decade, has passively taught me a lot of what I know about Linux.

4 Likes