Favorite Offline GPS app? (GPS radio based)

I got myself a new dash cam mirror replacement that is android based, touch screen, and has a GPS antenna…

the included GPS application is garbage. I don’t know what the go to apps are so I was wondering if any of you guys had some favorites that I could check out?

P.S. if it matters it’s a quad core with 1GB of ram.

1gb or 1GB? Big difference there.

1 Like

Smartass.

Seriously. If it’s 1gb. You have 125MB’s of ram which will run fuck all.

In all seriousness, if it has the storage capacity, the only free option that’s worth dealing with is Google Maps. Download the regions you need and then block network access to it. You will lose real time traffic reporting but if offline is your requirement, it’s pretty much the only solution worth a dam that wont cost $100+. Otherwise look at Tom Tom.

It’s 1GB. I’d sooner shoot myself than use a potato like that. Google maps just says no wifi detected and won’t launch which is why i’m here. Is there a way to switch it to offline mode?

I believe you need to connect it to a network first. Maybe park as close as you can to your Wi-Fi access point. Then run it. From there offline Maps, download the Maps you need and then it should be fine starting with no network connection.

Offline Maps working fine on my phone.

Just doubt it will work without downloading offline Maps first. Also those Maps expire after a few months but hot spot from your phone should cover the update download once in a while.

Lastly modern GPS systems use local Wi-Fi to get an accurate position. Bouncing off Wi-Fi around you. Don’t expect an accurate location.

1 Like

Been using OsmAnd for a while now, works just fine.

Here maps works really well too, BMW and Audi uses it in their navs.
https://mobile.here.com/?x=ep

3 Likes

I like, but what is it?

p.s I have no input just here. I just like the look of the shiney.

Most maps software will need wifi the first time, since they download maps in your region, but by setting offline areas you can then use it without a network connection, and just let it update whenever its in range of your home wifi. Here maps or Google maps are both good enough if you only need car navigation (neither will do cycle, public transit or other such directions while offline for some reason).

OsmAnd is what I use but depending on where are you the map may not be full or recently updated, because it is opensource map ( part of the Openstreetmap.org project ). You can easily download the map files you want on your smartphone and transfer them to sdcard/osmand/ and they will work.

There is also a way to do that on Here maps but you will have to try and check if those methods described on the internet actually work. I just tried the OsmAnd and I am sure it does work.

Here maps is part of Nokia and they are pretty good maps so it depends on you. Those are in my opinion the two best android offline map applications.

1 Like

Sygic Aura is my go to for maps. Uses tomtom maps, download them all and its completely offline. Does cost like 30 upfront, tho, for a full US map.

I installed OSMAnd but it wants access to my camera and microphone. I don’t understand why, I’m pretty sure the only thing necessary for it to work is to get your location data.

Ah, that. According to their FAQ, it’s because :

Source : http://osmand.net/help-online#permission

When I try to run it, OSM icon comes up and then whole screen goes black. I guess the Android layer isn’t really working but Pixel dungeon is working fine.

That’s weird. I have zero issues with it on my phone (Galaxy S7 with LineageOS) and my tablet (Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, also with LineageOS). Friend of mine uses it on his HTC One M8 too.

No I’m using Blackberry phone so RIM 10. It is supossed to have Android layer which lets you run any Android apps but they just hang nothing is responding.

Ah yeah, that could explain it.