Favorite book quotes

Share your favorite quotes from your amazing fantastical super duper awesome book

Book: THANK YOU FOR SMOKING

Author: Christopher Buckley

"Nick Naylor had been called many things since becoming the chief spokesman for the Academy of Tobacco Studies, but until now no one had actually compared him to Satan."

Andy Weir - The Martian

“Actually, I was the very lowest ranked member of the crew. I would only be “in command” if I were the only remaining person.”
What do you know? I’m in command”

and because I can't remember them all, here is a lot more from this book

Rob Grant & Doug Naylor - Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers

“Your explanation for anything slightly odd is aliens,' said Lister. 'You lose your keys, it's aliens. A picture falls off the wall, it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog roll in a day, you thought that was aliens.”

Frank Herbert - Dune

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

1 Like

"And"

1 Like

dune mutha@#%!!!! love that book.

Book: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Author: Douglas Adams

"Don't Panic."

1 Like

Richard Adams
Watership Down

book:robert heinlein

author:stranger in a strange land

quote: very long quote here's the link https://revolutionmagik.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/why-man-laughs/

book:art of war

author:sun tzu

quote:all warfare is based on deception

book:star wars njo traitor

author:unsure

quote:
{spoiler}
verge~"What is pain for? Do you ever think about that, Jacen Solo? What is its function?"
jacen~"I don't think anything. I just want it to stop."
"I don't think anything. I just want it to stop."
"I am such a fool. All this time, I had thought I was speaking to an adult. Ah, self deception is the cruelest trick of all, isn't it? I let myself believe that you had once been a true Jedi, when in truth you are only a hatchling, shivering in the nest, squalling because your mother hasn't fluttered up tofeed you."
"You -- you -- How can you -- after what you've done --"
"What I have done? Oh, no no no, little Solo child. This is about what you have done."
"I haven't done anything!"
"Exactly."

"I give you a gift, Jacen Solo. I free you from hope of rescue. Can you not see how I am trying to help you?"
"Help? You need to brush up on your Basic, Vergere. In Basic, when we talk about things you've done to me, help isn't a word we use."
"No? Then perhaps you are correct: our difficulties may be linguistic. When I was very young -- younger than you, little Solo -- I came upon a ringed moon shadowmoth at the end of its metamorphosis, still within its cocoon. I had already some touch with the Force; I could feel the shadowmoth's pain, its panic, its claustrophobia, its hopelessly desperate struggle to free itself. It was as though this particular shadowmoth knew I was beside it, and screamed out to me for help. How could I refuse? Shadowmoth cocoons are polychained silicates -- very, very tough -- and shadowmoths are so delicate, so beatufiul: gentle creatures whose only purpose is to sing to the night sky. So I gave it what I think you mean by help: I used a small utility cutter to slice the cocoon, to help the shadowmoth get out.
"You cant help a shadowmoth by cutting its cocoon. It needs the effort, the struggle to break the cocoon forces ichor into its wing veins. If you cut the cocoon --"
"The shadowmoth will be crippled. Yes, it was a tragiccreature -- never to fly, never to join its fellows in their nightdance under the moons. Even its wingflutes were stunted, and so it was as mute as it was planetbound. During that long summer, we sometimes heard moonsong through the window of my bedchamber, and from my shadowmoth I would feel always only sadness and bitter envy, that it could never soar beneath the stars, that its voice could never rise in song. I cared for it as best I could -- but the life of a shadowmoth is short, you know; they spend years and years as larvae, storing strength for one single summer of dance and song. I robbed that shadowmoth; I stole its destiny -- because I helped it."

Jacen tells Vergere she's dumb and she wasn't helping the shadowmoth at all. Vergere asks how he would have helped the shadowmoth:

"I suppose the best help you could offer would be to keep the cocoon safe. Hawk-bats hunt shadowmoth larvae, and they especially like newly cocooned pupae: that's the stage where they have the most stored fat. So I guess the best help you could offer would be to keep watch over the larva, to protect it from predators -- and leave it alone to fight its own battle."
"And, perhaps, also to protect it from other well-intentioned folk -- who might wish, in their ignorance, to `help' it with their own utility cutters."
"Yes..."
"And also, perhaps, you might stop by from time to time, to let the struggling, desperate, suffering creature know that it is not alone. That someone cares. That its pain is in the service of its destiny."
"Yes..."
"Then, Jacen Solo, our definitions of help are identical."

Jacen's mind is blown. But that's not the important part. The important part is:

Jacen Solo hangs in the white, thinking.
For an infinite instant, he is merely amazed that he can think; the white has scoured his conciousness for days, or weeks, or centures, and he is astonished now to discover that he can not only think, but think clearly.
He spends a white eon, marveling.
Then he goes to work on the lesson of pain.

This is it, he thinks. This is what Vergere was talking about. This is the help she gave me, that I didn't know how to accept.
She has freed him from his own trap: the trap of childhood. The trap of waiting for someone else. Waiting for Dad, or Mother, Uncle Luke, Jaina, Zekk or Lowie or Tenel Ka or any of the others whom he could always count on to fly to his resque.
He is not helpless. He is only alone.
It's not the same thing.
He doesn't have to simply hang here and suffer. He can do something.

Her shadowmoth tale may have been a lie, but within the lie was a truth he could not have comprehended without it. Was that what she had meant when she said, Everything I tell you is a lie?
Did it matter?
Pain is itself a god: the taskmaster of life. Pain cracks the whip, and all that lives will move. To live is to be a slave to pain.
He knows the truth of this, not only from his own life but from watching Dad and Anakin, after Chewie's death. He watched pain crack its whip over his father, and watched Han run from that pain halfway across the galaxy. He watched Anakin turn hard, watched him drive himself like a loadlifter, always pushing himself to be stronger, faster, more effective, to do more -- this was the only answer he had to the pain of having survived to watch his rescuer die.
Jacen always thought of Anakin as being a lot like Uncle Luke: his mechanical aptitude, his piloting and fighting skills, his stark warrior's courage. He can see now that in one important way, Anakin was more like his father. His only answer to pain was to keep too busy to notice it.

Running from the taskmaster.
To live is to be a slave to pain.
But that is only half true; pain can also be a teacher. Jacen can remember hour after hour of dragging his aching muscles through one more repetition of his lightsaber training routines. He remembers practicing the more advanced stances, how much it hurt to work his body in ways he'd never worked it before, to lower his center of gravity, loosen his hips, train his legs to coil and spring like a sand panther's. He remembers Uncle Luke saying, if it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right. Even the stinger bolts of a practice remote -- sure, his goal had been always to intercept or dodge the stingers, but the easiest way to avoid that pain would have been to quit training.
Sometimes pain is the only bridge to where you want to go.

And the worst pains are the ones you can't run away from, anyway. He knows his mother's tale so well that he has seen it in his dreams: standing on the bridge of the Death Star, forced to watch while the battle station's main weapon destroyed her entire planet. He has felt her all-devouring horror, denial, and blistering helpless rage, and he has some clue how much of her relentless dedication to the peace of the galaxy is driven by the memory of those billions of lives wiped from existence before her eyes.
And Uncle Luke: if he hadn't faced the pain of finding his foster parents brutally murdered by Imperial stormtroopers, he might have spent his whole life as an unhappy moisture farmer, deep in the Tatooine sand-wastes, dreaming of adventures he would never have -- and the galaxy might groan under Imperial rule to this very day.

Pain can be power, too, Jacen realizes. Power to change things for the better. That's how change happens: someone hurts, and sooner or later decides to do something about it.
Suffering is the fuel in the engine of civilization.
Now he begins to understand: because pain is a god -- he has been in the grip of this cruel god ever since Anakin's death. But it is also a teacher, and a bridge. It can be a slave master, and break you -- and it can be the power that makes you unbreakable. It is all these things, and more.
At the same time.
What it is depends on who you are.
But who am I? he wonders. I've been running like Dad -- like Anakin. I think they stopped, though; I think Dad was strong enough to turn back and face it, to use the pain to make himself stronger, like Mom and Uncle Luke. Anakin did, too, at the end. Am I that strong?
There's only one way to find out.
For indefinite days, weeks, centuries, the white has been eating him.
Now, he begins to eat the white.
{/spoiler}

i work at a library when im not here.

EDIT: how to spoiler?

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two.... And those who have not swords can still die upon them." -ÉOWYN, J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
Tolkien knows whats up about gun control.

"'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'" -J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
This is my favorite quote from all of Tolkien. I saw the movie before I read the book, and that part made me choke up the most in Fellowship in both formats, just so freaking powerful. OMG I'm starting to choke up now!

“The way sadness works is one of the strange riddles of the world. If you are stricken with a great sadness, you may feel as if you have been set aflame, not only because of the enormous pain, but also because your sadness may spread over your life, like smoke from an enormous fire. You might find it difficult to see anything but your own sadness, the way smoke can cover a landscape so that all anyone can see is black. You may find that if someone pours water all over you, you are damp and distracted, but not cured of your sadness, the way a fire department can douse a fire but never recover what has been burnt down.” -Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning
Basically sums up my depression. God these books were sad.

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."
~Tyrion Lannister, George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
I like this one the best, it's pretty good advice especially for me.

2 Likes

too bad that the sequels were shit

1 Like

A great quote from Discworld:

Everything I read is my favorite! Almost. This is what I can remember right now;

"I do not wish to go before I have left a word of reply - the reply of a free man - not one forced to justify himself - oh no!"

Translated. From "The Idiot" by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky.
Read it few years ago. The author is my favorite author of all time.

"Who controls the past controls the future, who controls the present controls the past"

1 Like

Author: Christopher Moore
Book: The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror

“People, generally, suck.”

1 Like

Book: Wizard's First Rule
Author: Terry Goodkind

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

2 Likes

Book: Meditations in Wall Street
Author: Henry Stanley Haskins
"What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

I completely forgot about that book. Time for a re-read.

1 Like

If any man have an ear, let him hear.. Revelations 13:9

Author: Who knows
Title: The Bible

the bible is actually a collection of books

It's a collection of books all put into one book..

Bookception..

According to google Revelations was written by John of Patmos.