Faun's Van Hole of Tech

Well I’m sittin here with my B120. Again. LEL

I’ve been playing with different distros and thought I had something with bunsenlabs. I really miss the good ol days of crunchbang. My old 120 actually ran it really well, and again, it ran bunsen amazingly well. Only problem is the livecd refuses to connect apt to the internet. So, its sadly just a good livecd environment and not much else.

And hot fucking damn I just figured out why my 120 was such a pain in the ass before and why I had to use opensuse LOL.

Wait nevermind sumbitch dropped me to dracut.

Oh my god fuckthisshit JUST INSTALL AN OS ALREADY AND JUST ACT NORMALLY

Half wondering if I can use Ventoy as a lame half assed secondary bios, boot the liveOS of my choice, make whatever partitions I want, and I could just have scripts in a folder that I mouse to to mount shit.

Eh, for this machine, that might be the most stable thing I can do. LOL.

1 Like

Well I’ve been exceedingly doing more shit to not be depressed about the chameleon. I now have a server rack, a mostly clean room in the attic that for the moment I am taking a break with because holy shit I hurt and holy shit I can play a game so I’m not going to xurn myself out and sleep for a week, I’mma take a break and play tarkov.

Yeet.

Pix tho

Physically fixfixing my audio issue

Desk

Stuff here

Fucking glorious

3 Likes

First night vanlifing and its the winter and zibhave no clothes or a heater. I had it hot as shit in there and the one thing that saved me was waking up to piss.

However the van is an apartment now so fuck it I survived the night

I have places to shit. Main goal is to avoid my parents home due to emotional abuse. At least my mom maybe wants to make up for it so thats neat.

Either way gotta shit

3 Likes

I lived in my RV for a year and a half. I used a porta-potty in emergencies, but usually went to the nearest gas station. Some truckstops have paid showers, some free. Public pools are usually cheaper than paid truck stop showers. Up here i went to UFA cardlock truck stops as their showers are free. Check around…

Also, a 1500watt heater puts out 1500 watts of heat, doesnt matter the size of the enclosure. So if you buy one, the smallest form factor is usually best. An electronic blanket works great too, put it under a mattress topper and the heat rises.

1 Like

So new thing coming up. I need to take a trip out west to see @THEkitchenSINK and some other cool hackers I know. Mostly for my mental fortitude ATP. I’m kinda over michigan lol.

But I need some cash in the meantime. I think I’m going to try to sell a car engine or something. Ford Focus passenger doors. I have stuff. I can get something.

I’ve also got a K2 to mod and put up for sale, and some other things. As I work on these things I will post pics and progress updates. If anything catches anyones fancy, ask.

3 Likes

Still living the van life? How is it going?

So I have my creator space more set up now. Like to the point that I won’t really fuck with anything. I have accounted for lighting, power, available plugs, walking space, what I need cameras to look at, where the god damned sun will be, I have a wide screen CRT to display images on in the background, I have my amiga music setup coming together directly behind me, so one way or another theres going to be SOMETHING for people to look at.

But what I wanted to post about was my PC setup right now. This is a bit ridiculous, but its an effort to get me to trim down, Granted I have already trimmed down a ton, but I could get rid of more machines easily. Its just I’m figuring out what ones I want to keep for work and what ones are toys. Then figuring out what I actually need.

Atm I have my streaming / vm rig (x79 box ty wendell and giga), my powerpc dev rigs (2 G5’s that run in tandem, also for ffmpeg / kdenlive acceleration, 1 MDD G4), 2 little dell machines (one for pihole specifically and playing with all of that in its own thing, and one for an FTP / repo server for the PPC machines to dump directly into (has a 320GB HDD though so gotta be careful)), my sun machine, both imac and emac, its like I have a computer network behind my desk because I can.

I’ve been trying to figure out “ok well I have it how do I now USE it” aside from the G5’s and G4’s which just get void linux. What do I run? How do I connect everything?

ATM I have 10/100 and 10/100/1000 networks running side by side. I have a few switches, two managed the rest not, and a router handling the gigabit that has some nice features I appreciate for the form factor. I have enough ethernet ports in this room that are separated out well enough that I don’t need to immediately worry about crosstalk or any weird shit happening. I’m expecting collisions eventually but for now it seems ok. However I will need to go through all of my network settings here soon and reset a BUUUUUNCH of shit.

As for machines, desktops / laptops of any kind that will have a desktop use will be running MX linux, and anything with a development role will be running Void linux. Anything that requires anything specific will also run void linux as it is easy to keep near fatless. Any computer that will be handling an “OS framework” via VM’s will run MX linux, though in the event something goes wrong on a VM machine I will fall back to POP_OS as my immediate playing with KVM and having it not fuck up was on POP.

Getting everything installed is going to be a feat. A grand reformat if you will. I knew this was going to happen years ago, I just wasn’t in a headspace to be able to organize it and do it. I’m a lot better now than I was then.

I’m proud of this work I’ve done to be honest. I’m elated to show you all.

2 Likes

Post here about using a 686 laptop in 2021/2022.

I like that I can go on ebay and buy the laptop I had in middle school for 20 bucks. I like that with a simple overclock and an expresscard adapter I can have a capable workstation ready to go. I like the modularity laptops used to have, and its a shame that we don’t really have that anymore. What happened to expansion?

I’ve been trying to track down a solid linux choice. I want steam to work, but I don’t need it to now that I have the game I want from GOG. So I’m pretty much going to focus on packages I want going forward and kernel availability. Obviously Debian is on that list, however I fucking hate apt. If I ever have to deal with APT spaghetti again I will lose my mind no thank you. XBPS or nothing. At that I am setting up most of my other machines, if not all of them, with void. I was liking MX linux a lot but then apt did what apt does and I yeeted that bitch. However, I will say I loved the performance the 5.13 exp2 kernel gave me. I am going to track that down and look into kernel optimizations more. I was researching for a post, but the result was I just need to build my own kernel. I’m going to work on my resume tonight while in bed so I might do it while doing that.

However, I will say that I am being realistic about the performance of this little pentium M. Its no i7, though it is where they come from. Most times, unless the laptop has a specific technology that I will use (such as my X230T), all a laptop does for me is youtube, abiword / libreoffice, homebank, emulators, and sometimes a video editor. What I am keen to test out, and what I am replacing my GPU video with, is hooking up 2 G5’s over the network in my house to my B130 here and seeing what happens in olive / kdenlive with network rendering. I specifically want my G5’s to render video on command, so when done they go to sleep. More like an appliance. I will have them hooked up to their own switch, probably on their own vlan on a managed switch to make it easy, and use another machine as a dump so they don’t even store locally. That machine will also run my pihole and probably a tool like cacti or something to do net monitoring. Its a pentium 4 so it can only do so much at once, but as long as it does only a few tasks, point it in a direction, it chugs. Its a fat client PC, so if it uses as much as both G5’s in a week I’ll laugh.

I don’t expect local scrubbing on a pentium M to be pleasant. So hopefully network render makes that easier. I hope all the machines can stay in sync over 10/100 :thinking: I should look into that one.

Guess I’ll go look into kernels then. Might make a post, might just post in here.

Edit: Noticing in the void updates that the base kernel for 686 is 5.15. Install kernel was 5.6 I believe, so this is cool. I am going to set up xbps-src in a minute and I want to see if I can have the machine crosscompile and package for 686, ppc, and ppc64. Not for live use, just to learn how to do it. I will eventually, soon hopefully, be picking up the package building for void linux on BE architectures. Unfortunately for Q66 I need these systems, fortunately though I do not need him to manage them. And void makes it stupid easy to never interact with a repo.

however I noticed on the b130 this is still a relatively fresh install. Needs some work too. Before I can really do much though, I need office software XDDD waiting on those updates. I swear the cpu is faster than the laptops capable download speed and it makes me laugh.

----------\edit 2:

I want to package the most stable vivaldi386 into a flatpak and maybe fork it

1 Like

Void has zabbix-agent and node_exporter (prometheus agent) in the main repo. Well, it also has zabbix and prometheus servers. Zabbix is an older version though (4.4.10, instead of 5). Prometheus is too, 2.28.1, instead of the latest 2.32.1.

If you want simple monitoring without a server, monit is also there. If you want network bandwidth monitoring, vnstat may be an option. If you want to keep it really simple, just cat your statistics under /sys/device/platform/*/statistics/tx_bytes and rx_bytes. On the rpi, it’s /sys/devices/platform/scb/fd580000.ethernet/net/eth0/statistics/. Just find /sys/device | grep tx_bytes and you should find what you should cat to see your (up) network traffic. rx_bytes is in the same folder (for down network traffic). There are also other statistics, like dropped and errors, you don’t really need those unless you are debugging your connection.

I want my g5’s to also build packages for a few hours a day. I want to queue packages automatically and set it up so I can have a set of packages skip the queue. If I choose a package that has dependencies, I want the dependencies to build first.

I want one machibe for 32 bit and the other for 64 bit, bbut both running the same build of kdenlive orr olive for net render.

I need to look into wake on lan soon. Ugh.

No I basically want wireshark without the clutter and cache smashing

2mbx2.4ghz/1 core(800mhz fsb)

Thats a pain in the ass

Wireshark does a lot of things, are you sure you want that? Or what part of it do you want?

I want to be avle to see the last like 18 hours of packet traffic but not save it other than to swap

Like scrolling up in your bash history

But for everything

I will have this in pfsense I know but I want one internal staring at everything like a communist council member

vnstat, or cat the rx_bytes and tx_bytes, those get reset at each reboot. You can make an easy script to run in crontab every hour and do a statistic for you.

Actually, you also need vnstat for pfsense if you want to keep a history of your traffic.

Btw, here’s a guide for xbps-src written by piraty (one of void’s devs):

And this is how an xbps template looks like if you want to do a custom one yourself (albeit you will have most templates available from the void-packages if you git clone it).
cat void-packages/void-packages/srcpkgs/yt-dlp/template

# Template file for 'yt-dlp'
pkgname=yt-dlp
version=2021.12.01
revision=1
wrksrc="$pkgname"
build_style=python3-module
hostmakedepends="python3-setuptools"
depends="python3"
checkdepends="python3-pytest flake8 python3-nose"
short_desc="CLI program to download videos from YouTube and other sites"
maintainer="Michal Vasilek <[email protected]>"
license="Unlicense"
homepage="https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp"
changelog="https://raw.githubusercontent.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/master/Changelog.md"
distfiles="https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/download/$version/yt-dlp.tar.gz"
checksum=bf0cc22d17ffbe59c0d0378026ff135a996b86c546ec9713d838f952dea61e0f

do_check() {
        PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 make offlinetest
}

ye I know I’ve used it before lol

resume updated

I have one notable annoyance. I cant a bigger heatsink, and for it to basically be outside of the computer. I want to take the fan out so its a dead silent system. Its damn near as is.

Found out a 370 cooler fits on a 9800. Hax?

I am redoing my machines.

My mac pro 3,1 will be set up for video editing, only because of available ram.
I will have a G5 and a G4 build Void Linux packages and a pent 4 be their repo box
I will have my Mac Pro 1,1, for now, only running PFSense in a VM
I will set up my R620 to build packages and do cpu tasks and my R510 to do mostly storage tasks
The board wendell sent over will be used for game recording, streaming, and working on projects (My main PC)
my X230T will be set up for doing any work on the go
my B130 will be set up for general tomfoolery, as will the powerbook

finally I have that fucking straightened out

I need to buy:

NVME riser
GIgabit pcie NIC
SFP adapters
H100iv2 2011v3 mount
12v fan hub

1 Like

Notes for Upstorm:

Desktop: i3 with conky and plank
Look at MX Linux tools and see what would be good for system management
ISO image and Mac Transfer Mode expandable image
no BS over free vs nonfree, take what you want

You know I have one of those obihai google voice dinguses…. I wonder if I could get it to call me in the morning as a wake up call sorta thing.