Fast/Efficient Web Framework/Language For Website + Android App API?

I've got a project lined up for the upcoming university holidays which will be in the form of an Android app and website. The project is for my friends Tennis coaching business so he will be able to manage his classes, payments, bookings etc through the browser on his desktop and then on the court can use the app to mark the roll, see lesson plans etc. Obviously I'll get a web server to host the site and to host an API for the Android app to access the database.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a server side language/framework that will be suited to this task and be fast/efficient? I do heaps of C and Assembly at university and am not a huge fan of languages running in resource intensive VMs lol.

1 Like

There are expansions to the project that I will make that will require some decently heavy computation (stuff like a search algorithm to find the best tournaments to play) which will be done on the server most likely. Im thinking maybe Node.js for processing normal web pages and database access for basic data, and then probably C/C++ for the heavier computing and the out put is given to a Node.js script to send to the site/app. Any thoughts on that? I know the whole thing could be done in C/C++ but would probably not be worth the development time. Apparently javascript is the fastest scripting language on the planet with the V8 engine and is even faster than C/C++ for basic things (don't know much about that).

I've made a basic site in pythin with Flask but seemed like it was pretty slow.

I'm currently using Staples.JS with Handlebars for my MVC framework, using a PHP & MySQL back-end.

I use W3.CSS or Bootstrap for mobile-friendly CSS.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time also making an android app. Just make it mobile friendly.

For the search algorithm you could also use JS but you will have to define why you need it at all.

Don't get buried in project requirements.

1 Like

That's a pretty monolithic app just saying.

Since this is a tall order I suggest you use Ruby on Rails for development. As this keeps everything in one place without having to use too many languages at once.

I'm building a mobile app to learn how to do it and will also be expanding it in the future for some more coaching features involving bluetooth devices and the camera. I've built more complex systems than this, just havnt done a major web server based app before. The reason I want to choose a fast/efficient server side language is because ive used scripting languages before for stuff like stock market analysis and some were really slow compared to others. For simple projects it seems to me that it doesnt matter what you use apart from dev time/libraries, but for complex projects it pays to choose the right language for the job.

Thanks, ill have a look at Ruby on rails, heard its good.

My friend is a dev that runs systems with millions of records for parsing online payment system.

He uses a combination of Ruby and Go.

Thanks for the help, thats cool. Ill have a look at Go.

Agreed on this, most people are happy to just use a website as long as it's designed well and functional.

1 Like

Thanks, I know that is the case, I already addressed that. I want to learn to make apps and I will be adding functionality which uses the phone camera, bluetooth, etc.