FarmBot: A open source backyard robot that is fully automated for gardening

I found this farming tool that can help you take care of your own personal garden, but at one point someone can scale this up for bigger farming capabilities. @wendell

But the price is holding me back from buying it.
Domestic shipping is included to the price of $2,695

1 Like

That thing looks awesome :smiley: I dunno, every time I see these robot type videos I can't look away.

cnc

Computerized numerical crops

2 Likes

I'm both excited and scared. Excited because of the possibilities for self reliance, and scared because robotalypse.

1 Like

Destroying mankind one robot at a time. Sorry but progress doesn't lead to happiness. I really am hoping that eventually instead of talking about ISIS and groups like that we will have terrorists that take down companies that use robotics. Just sayin'.

Oh ..........

and if it was a different world where this would benefit all then I might feel different about the robot.

One of the reasons this strikes a cord in me is I have really bad knees. If I had a big piece of property to ride a small tractor to do the major gardening work that would be my ideal. No such land in my foreseeable future. I can see the utility in the robot garden for me and others in my boat. I also like the free software and materials list so you can DIY if so inclined. I could see this on a 45th floor apartment deck too.

You should look into aquaponics...

Not really aquaponics but close; Many years ago I had a closet grow op for personal use. 30"w x 80"l x 90"h. It worked. I could transfer that experience fairly easily.

1 Like

I enjoy getting my hands dirty while gardening.
Troubleshooting a robot gardener's servos doesn't sound nearly as satisfying.
It definitely has a place on a commercial mini farm.

1 Like

I'm not a fan of the 'robots harvesting food' type of gardening inventions, but I do like a lot of the cheap electronics available to monitor sensors and control irrigation. I am not a fan of the term 'internet of things', and I certainly don't think it is smart to connect ever gadget on earth to the internet, but for every thousand or more poor uses for the technology I see one or two awesome things being done.

Agriculture, manufacturing, and other places where work is being done over an area too large to be completely controlled by a single person can have lots of benefits from using sensor networks and control systems. Being able to take collect from sensors on micro-climates and either adjusting the conditions or the plants in specific areas according to collected data could help farms of any size to have better production and reduce losses. Mixing electronic technology with other practices, such as polyculture, permaculture, aquaculture, and many other methods of growing food can provide tons of important info that could shape the future of agriculture.

One thing that would be of particular interest is understanding existing relationships between the different parts of an ecosystem. I have read about groves of trees and fungal networks that can sense a threat (disease, hungry insects) and start some sort of chemical response to which neighboring plants react. In turn each plant can start to ready its defenses faster than the threat can spread. Having sensors that can detect these changes, possibly manipulate them, or alert people to investigate the issue could prove to be more cost effective than some 'spray and pray' insecticides.

I'm hoping to get some sort of basic sensor system set up within the next year for my growing efforts. It probably won't have any major effect initially, but if I can collect data and observe it over time then I may be able to get a better understanding of what is happening outside and produce food more efficiently.

3 Likes