Farewell, Level1Techs

@anon7678104 I’d asked you to stop, you continued on.

Continued discussion isn’t going to end well.

@Mastic_Warrior I recognize that you’re not interested in this discussion anymore. Thank you.

:smiley: im done mate.
as you can see i didnt follow up with on there last bait post but i had to reply to a false allegation taken out of contest, reworded as but what your saying is :wink:
sorry you dont get to do that.
its bad form.
and if your defending it your a bad actor.
regardless of your forum status.

Ditto.

I mean really I don’t post projects here because flat out some shit just gets ignored and it can be like one of the biggest things I work on.

No one looks.

Advert in lounge

Nothing.

Lots feel this way, not just me. So we leave, though we remember when we could build a computer in a suitcase and be laughing our asses off at what came back and then had notes to improve it.

Don’t really have that anymore bud.

Hey uhh so

There’s the thread. The op that posted this very thread is the one that closed it back then. Same person.

It wasn’t a moderator or staff person.

I am… Somewhat bemused by this. It’s kind of amazing.

My impression is that fully half of the problem at least is sone of the old timers feel vested and entitled to something. They’re more than welcome to hang out and post stuff. But as we see here time and time again when we peel back and do the post mortem what the real problem is. The regular user in this instance complaining about mod action when it wasn’t! Just those old timers being asses.

It doesn’t seem like AdminDev was the best cheerleader for the old timers to pick because @Rugaliz remeberance here is actually directed at someone who seems to have come back only to start drama.

You have to admit that’s pretty lulz.

8 Likes

Yeah my memory seams to be playing tricks. Its was this thread that a mod closed and I really didn’t understand quite why back then since I started it as a continuation of another thread and I clearly used evidence as a starting point:

Sometimes serious controversial topics are very hard to discuss as people instinctively react badly as some dogma being being questioned. Another thread about CO2 discussion also got derailed over diference of opinion and scientific faculties to interpret data.
The thing is should all of these controversial topics be avoided in this forum and exclusively focus on tech? Because I don’t think a bunch of help-desk posts a day and a few projects sometimes is enough to keep the community engaged.
The vegan stuff was just a troll going overboard and I fell for it.
Still I hope things improve and I see steps being made in the right direction.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. It sure seems like based on what you’ve said ejecting AdminDev was the right move if the bad experience with them stuck with you that long.

Some of the folks complaining they get yelled at by the mods wrongly assume the mods didn’t tell at the other party(s) because they also got yelled at. No everyone gets yelled at.

Contemplating some further chaotic good/evil changes.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad. I was discussing some similar stuff with people Are 'vid deaths and ultimately we had to go back to excess deaths over a long period to show it’s actually not just a bad flu season. And the lethality is much worse with age. It’s hard sometimes to get everyone on the same page with just the facts

3 Likes

I was dern0s (from 2019 to start of 2021) before being lurk3r, asked sarge to anon old me because I rolled my eyes too much at some shit around here and personal questions

I also dropped out of @Adubs forum to put my head in place, but being honest:

other than Densetsu’s projects, and some builds with many pictures this place has been declining

I came back because of boredom during work-hours, but couldn’t stick around too much for the lack of interesting projects

other than Aremis cleaning their room there’s nothing going on that sparks my interest, and that’s weird because in 2019 there were many

I can’t say if I’m the one who changed or the forum, cause my memory isn’t too good

I always liked Chris, dude’s cool

About kitchen and angel I actually sided with kitchen, they were crazy but I kinda liked it, was tired of hearing about VRMs and perfect shit from someone who doesn’t seem to really like computers other than contemplating motherboards… at that time I almost left

I love the Level1Tech content, tho… it’s a shame people on the forum come for helpdesk instead of enrichment

good luck guys, hope this community doesn’t die off because of some randos

also about the mods I was once flagged by a mod for saying “howdy” on lounge, becaus mod was too focused on stop shitposting on other threads… while jaywalking in the lounge

2 Likes

Oh god remember when wolfeben would just lock threads because someone cussed nad that was a nono

You did a better job summing up what I was trying to say, and in far fewer words. This forum is about technology, and everything else is nice when we can have it, but ultimately tangential.

3 Likes

What have you contributed? Not saying you haven’t, I’m genuinely asking.

Are you talking about the L1T projects that are on youtube or are you expecting the forum users to generate a windfall of content for you to consume?

Denesetsu’s projects are great, but if that’s the bar you’re setting, you are never going to get a steady stream of that here. Denesetsu is most likely the only user who is able to deploy 4–5 figure project budgets on an ongoing basis paired with professional photography equipment and skill.

Do you? Did you and you don’t anymore? I’m confused.

Describe what this means to you in this context. I am unclear.

It won’t die off, but also, you’re not supposed to stay here forever. It’s presumably level 1 of many. You come here to get a good start and you either stay to help others or you leave to do amazing things… or I guess you can sort of leave but not really and stew in unfounded resentment. Choose your own adventure I guess.

You can always pm another mod for a second opinion/appeal.

3 Likes

I’m skipping much of the thread due to its length, but just wanted to say a couple of things…
First, it sucks when you feel attacked and bullied. I had that at school for about 10 years. With actual violence. I get that.

But second, it sucks more, IMO, when someone comes into an existing community and starts trying to change things because they feel offended, and end up pushing people out of their “home”. Any internet forum should exist for its longest serving members, not the new crowd coming in, often specifically to find offense on purpose. When someone new is offended, they should be given the opportunity to simply leave. Just like if you go to a nightclub or restaurant that you don’t enjoy and won’t go back to.

Finally, I personally get offended when people carry on like morons over someone making jokes… So if I find that offensive, can we have the rules changed to prevent the pork chops from causing trouble and offending me?

2 Likes

Well yeah people talk about hardware on a tech related forum.
That is really weird isn´t it?

8 Likes

Is there a specific example you have in mind (on this forum)? We can address something specific, but these vague generalizations aren’t actionable.

I agree that seniority should grant some level of respect and maybe some leniency, but catering to new members is central to the thesis of level1techs… New members are literally the target audience. Those of us who stick around (myself included) are outliers.

1 Like

I hate to get meta about the forums and everything so I’ll keep this brief… I would like to belong to a community of people who could self moderate, but that doesn’t really seem to exist. So I’ll settle for a community where the moderators are like minded and don’t instigate fights. I agree with @MisteryAngel wholeheartedly… This is first and foremost a forum about technology and that is why I am a member here… There are other forums out there for other topics and other discourse.

To the OP… Farewell good sir. See you on the flip-side.

4 Likes

I’ve found that any community that “self moderates” quickly degenerates into edgy and extreme content. Though, I suspect that’s a failure of self-moderation.

7 Likes

I’ve been a member here longer than almost anyone else in this thread, I believe. I could not disagree with this statement more. The forum exists to serve the purposes of its mission statement. In this case, the mission statement is presumably set by Wendell with input from the community. And as he said, that mission statement right now is about getting people from Level 0 to Level 1 with technical knowledge.

I can’t believe I’m on this side of this argument, because I’m a hard line conservative on most things. I hate political correctness. I like guns, and I laugh at inappropriate/racist/sexist/whateverist jokes. Pretty much the whole kit of bravado and I don’t care about feels and blah blah blah people just need to get over it. But those are the rules at my house, not a common shared community that has a stated goal which has nothing to do with anyone’s political or social opinion. This forum is about the things Wendell laid out in his post, not about the ability to form a clique of “old members” and mock everyone else away.

21 Likes

Pretty much the Marshmallow experiment conducted with kids in the Psychology world.

3 Likes

CAN I HEAR IT IN THE BACK