Fans ramp up on bridge network

If I bridge my network like eno1 + eno2 on any bsd system (freenas or OSx) my other server which is hosting firewall on vm and running proxmox as host fans ramp up and it is painful to hear that noise in my apartment.
I shift my nas into xigmanas because no bonding by default but it is great afterall it is zfs. but when I try network bonding on Mac same thing happened. The fans are roaring until I restart my mac or my ex-freenas box. fans controls on ilo4 I checked but nothing found. switching to centos or any rhel will help me (because of spp). if you guys using rhel any flavour wiith cockpit how is backup option because in proxmox it is flawless once I conneted to NFS. so please guide me to resolve the issue.
I am new here but I watch wendel videos if I done any mistake or you need any logs please ask I am happy to share.

Work pc :- Hackintosh, 8700k+5700 32 gb ram
Vm host :- proxmox, HP dl380g9 20 cores+ 48 gb ecc ram+ (2xgt710+ gtx1070) vfio
Nas box :- xigmanas, Intel E5-2407v2 8 core + 16 gb ecc ram

A college of mine found that if you create a broadcast storm on the same layer 2 network as a DL385 G8, the fans will ramp up. Maybe that could be happening to you.

1 Like

Thanks I will look into it I am literally new in vlan stuff but I have Cisco switch SG-500 28 port. I know I am asking too much but if you any good guide with cisco switch that will great help. Thanks

Thanks @NZSNIPER you helped me alot I just enable protection and storm protection on Cisco switch but yes I didn’t create any vlans because that is not my requirements Thanks bonding works test passed and I keep using my proxmox

If you connect two NIC’s to one layer 2 network (same VLAN) then bridge them, it creates a loop.

The proper way of doing it is setting up Link aggregation such as a LACP group on the switch with the switch ports that you are using to the server.
Then set the LACP group as trunk ports to the switch so you can set your Proxmox VM’s VLAN to whatever you want.

But if this is just a homelab then there’s no need to break something that works.

1 Like

yeah that protection is too much for my homelab on freenas I made 2 nic as 1 link agg. and there is no more storm. I was thinking about spectre and meltdown :stuck_out_tongue: Like movies I am getting hacked so I psyched out thanks for teaching me about this. :slight_smile: