Fan direction airflow

Picked up a mid tower airflow case, 3 front intakes, 1 rear, open top, evga rts 2070 non blower style. Stock AM4 cooler. I have a couple extra 120mm fans I can stick in the top. Should I pull in for 5 intakes, one exit plus 2070 and open card slots, or flip them and suck up?

3 Likes

I’d say same direction as the rear.
(unless you in a dusty place, then maybe in at back and top. )

2 Likes

Thanks, that was my thinking but 5:1 seemed excessive but for the gpu and open expansion slot vents.

Needed a second set of thoughts on it… I’ll see how it goes and grab an aio down the road if it doesn’t perform.

2 Likes

Yeah same here, I recommend exhaust unless you have a dirtier room, I tend to use more exhausting fans then intake.

3 Likes

On balance, I would rather have slightly more Input than exhaust, but a flow is better than overall pressure/still spots.

but if even, then flow

(positive pressure slightly better than negative, imho)

3 Likes

Yeah, i’ll do some smoke testing and tune the fan speeds.

2 Likes

[joke] Or, you could just stifle flow, have every pan pointing inwards, unblock the PCIe blockers at the back of the case, so it all exits there, but that seems much less elegant…

2 Likes

A friend of mine had his system set up like that! He claimed that his GPU blower card exhausted all of it out the back. And you could feel quite a lot of airflow, to be fair.

2 Likes

I’d use all fans and have intakes three in front a few hundred rpm higher than the exhaust (2 top and 1 rear) to keep positive pressure but enhance fresh air flow following convection… just my 2 cents. I usually do custom curves and set intake 200 or 300 above exhaust at the same temperature points.

2 Likes

3 in 2 out is your best bet…
The GPU really doesn’t push a lot of air outside the case. Most of it is just circulating the inside. So you need some fans to pull the hot air out. So while the 2 exhausts pull the hot air out, the 3 intakes will push cold air in.
If you have any sort of dust filtration that fan configuration will get all it’s cold air from the intake fans and won’t suck dust in from the cracks.
If you go 3 in 3 out, I would suggest making sure the exhaust fans always run at lower speed than the intakes. That way the intakes will still push more fresh air in that the exhausts can pull out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.