Fan control on Supermicro X11SAE

Hello,

I just got an Supermicro X11SAE with CPU and RAM for a good price (where I live).

Works great with the exception of the fan control. Those things are loud (be quiet fans and a intel stock cooler, actual cpu cooler is on the way).

According to the documentation the X11SAE-F has IPMI, but the X11SAE (my board) controls the fans via SIO (Super I/O).

The fan speed control only has [Standard, Full Speed] and both are equally loud.

I have updated the bios from 3.0a to 3.9 but that doesn’t give me any extra options. Googling only gives results for the -F (IPMI) version of the motherboard.

The weird thing is that the two be quiet fans are around 500rpm which is good. The intel stock cooler is running at ~1100rpm but the front fan is running at 2100rpm and is the main issue.

If I unplug the front fan the CPU fan ramps up to 3000rpm. CPU is 50C at idle. CPU is an Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6.

Any ideas how I can tune down the fan speed but that it still respond to temperature increase.?

Plugged in a Noctua low-noise adapter and the front fan now runs at 1100rpm which is much more usable. Still would be nice to run it without the low-noise adapter.

According to Reference Material - Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control | ServeTheHome Forums all fans run at 50% of their max RPM.

The front fan has a high max RPM so the idle RPM is 50% of that.

Case closed, use fans with a lower max RPM to reduce the noise.