Fairphone coming to the US

So @kreestuh mentioned this on the L1 Links with Friends a couple times before. Until now it wasn’t available in the US, however:

As someone who’s been using a Fairphone 3 for 3.5 years now: Still very happy with it. The battery is just about to start to give out, but I think after this time with daily usage that is OK. New battery only costs 25-ish Euro as well (unfortunately can’t send in the old one as they only take back phones for recylcing).

Android updates are semi-quick as well. It seems they do a 2-month interval though, not monthly. That’s still acceptable for me however.

My FP3 is still on Android 11, however the FP4 that is coming to the US has Android 12 already. That said I’m fairly confident the FP3 will be getting Android 12 as well.

Anyone else interested in this?

6 Likes

Urrrghhh I just got a new phone after having my old one for the last five years haha. Dang I should have waited. Next time I’m due for an upgrade I definitely want to check this out though.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the Fairphone is like as hardware, but I’ve been using /e/ for over a year and have been happy. on my Samsung Galaxy S9+

I’m stll peeved by the removal of the headphone jack right before they released the earbuds. If they brought back the headphone jack, I might consider them for my next upgrade

1 Like

Yeah you’re certainly not alone on that one. I mean adapters exist but I feel like USB-C is more prone to breaking out then a headphone jack is in your pocket.

I mean it’s… average? Enough for everyday use, maybe not if you wanna game on it though.

2 Likes

I have a Fairphone 4 myself. I wouldn’t trade it for any other phone. Might last 10 years as far as I’m concerned. Super easy servicing of battery, camera and speakers, didn’t check the replaceable USB-C port yet.

A bit large for my taste, but plenty of memory and flash. Long battery life, really high mAh.

1 Like

It’s not FAIR :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not sure I personally trust the Fairphone after they got rid of the headphone jack. I’d rather give my money to pine64.

2 Likes

Hi @mihawk90 - not sure if you were replying about gaming or USB-C. If the latter, I’ve been plugging in almost daily since 2018…so battery life is the killer (and mine is still OK)

There’s 2 parts to that response so… both? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have an issue with USB-C per se but considering that the plugs are relatively short and the leverage on them is bigger then on a headphone jack, I can easily see them break out when plugged in all the time in my pocket. That’s something I have never had to worry about with a headphone jack.

I’m hoping they bring it back with the FP5 and there’s a long going discussion about it on the FP Forums too, so we’ll see.