Failure - or am I? [Updated]

I to was in a similar situation. Second semester after my suspension was up I was struggling again. Then my long time gf left me. I decided I could not continue studying biology any more. I moved on to computer networking, and Cisco certs. I'm still taking classes but I now work full time as a data center technician. I love it, and I'm in a much better place.

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”
― Benjamin Franklin

The real world actually did work like that... that I can say for absolute certainty that happened as much as I can say "I think, therefore I am"... my testimonial is an absolute truth of how the real world interacted with me... to say otherwise would be COMPLETELY ridiculous... When you refer to something as anecdotal, you remiss the premise on which it is based and say it is only this one person's experience and therefore the same thing has 1:7 billion chance of happening to one's self, which is deductive reasoning in the philosophical sense. That is not true and not logical when the same situation applies two-fold... Hence, how other people can learn through one's own mistakes... Hence, Science in general... if every scientist has gone in his own direction basing his science completely on his own conclusions we would still think the Earth is flat and the sun revolved around us... As far as context goes... I've literally thought the same things OP thought and been in his shoes... that's why I replied in the first place...

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
― Groucho Marx

You're basing arguments around philosophical reasoning and laughing....? Of course it's relevant... Of course it's how the real world works....

Other than literally backing them up with real numbers that I looked up, and doing the 5th-grade math to socialize the statistics... absolutely... you're right... my statements are full of "fallacies"... I didn't present them as national statistics, but I extrapolated them across society and that IS the mathematical outcome of a whole generation that switches majors...

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

And from that point you just quote things and laugh at them without any argument whatsoever? then call them contradictions and fallacies as if there's not an exception to every rule... laughing through through the Platoistic truth of ignorance? We can't be two places at once, but electrons can.... Einstein's theory of relativity breaks down completely at the beginning of the universe and black holes... there's exceptions to lots of rules that don't directly make them contradictions...

Guys, seriously. Stop. I get that you're both trying to give advice from your own perspectives, but if you can't do that without going at each others throats, don't bother.

1 Like

clearly still don't get it mate. Please read my last paragraph where i said reply in regards to the OP, not me (which you have still failed to say why what i said was wrong). By the way, just one note, I disagree with your reasoning;
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Debate:Absolute_truth

@Aethyr Sorry mate, tried to keep on topic :P

I'm not mad... I can't imagine he's mad.... it's kind of turned into a political/theological argument at which neither side would win and we would eventually agree to disagree on some terms... (though through this argument I think we agree on a lot more than we disagree on really... or at least I found)...

Only reason I was mad was the continual use of anecdotal... it's not even that it's not an accurate word in the situation... it's just irking because it's a dismissive term that sets the tone at a 1:7 billion margin when in reality it's much more of a ~1:100 margin when the anecdote is directly relative in context...

I guess that was my point at the end of the day... sorry if we seemed heated... fun for me I was on debate team in college and there was some anti-american slurs... despite my country's downfalls I would defend my homeland to the death :P ... I haven't visited Europe... but am interested in the culture... I've been to Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and all around my country... before I die, I'd like to see Japan and Oz...

Anyways... I'm glad I had the discussion... sorry to interrupt your thread, sir

Yea, not mad either, :D i was just highlighting that they were anecdotes (not in an attempt to dismiss) and to not give them as heavy weighting as a result :P (and its not 1.7 billion, this is kind of the point i was getting at, what works for one does NOT work for all....)

Just a disclaimer here too; I am in fact rather pro american lmao (i mean ffs i studied counter terrorism and international security and come from a western country :P), they were not slurs, but rather facts, i think it is well recognized that the political/institutional/civil/school failings in America are currently huge, that's all i was referring to lol, in fact you agreed on some of these points yet I did not perceive them as slurs. I can be critical of things without wanting their downfall, and so can you.

and yes, i would agree... that we agree... it's just the process is different

@Aethyr again i too apologise..... Ever thought of doing conflict resolution work or being a teacher? hahahaha

Great, all is well. Sorta.

I think I'd rather live in a forest, away from the conflict in the first place.

I think we would both agree.... ::sigh:: all that for nothing :P

oh well... follow for id sir...

Sorry, just not one to teach. I feel like I should be - as cliche and awkward as it sounds - much more wise to teach.

College is a waste of money, you're better off paying for legal over the counter smart drugs (of which help in confidence, depression and memory) and just pay for tests. You can take chems designed to treat Alzheimer's (of which taste like shit) that are non-addictive. You can get an MIT Education for a couple hundred dollars by buying the books they use and they provide OpenCourseWare and if you want MIT's Toilet Paper, (a degree) that's another couple thousand and all you have to do is pay for exams of which could be a couple thousand.

So this might be more of an update, or more of an idea.

I've probably come to the idea that sitting in a lab doing tedious and nearly repetitive tasks is not for me (it never was). I've always craved some adventure, wanting to have that adrenaline rush. So, what if I happened to join the military? If I did, I would at least want to make it as high on the prestige list as possible - talking about Delta Force or SEALs prestige - so I have a solid groundwork.

Whether or not I'm gonna stick with it remains up the in air. But it's something I've honestly considered. I'm just gonna need some prolonged though on it.

I'm friends with a handful of people or two that are currently in the military, and none of them seem to dislike it. Like any government agency however there's a whole slew of crap that needs to fall in place for stuff to actually happen, but the benefits are nice.

If you haven't already, find a friend in the military or go to a recruitment station and ask questions that have objective answers. Subjective questions like "do you like it?" will get you nowhere, but questions like "how does rank and promotion look currently?" will give you better information.

finish a degree through the military, they will want to hold onto you a lot more that way. If you want to be in the top tier, you must be top tier, a higher level of education will offer advantages, especially one that is unique and important to certain deployments - biochem for eg - nuclear physics on a sub etc. to get into special units you have to have several factors going for you inclead mental will power and the higher tiers. for Eg this is a video of just being selected to start Australian SAS training here:

it is not even as hard as the training they get once they start SAS training... So it depends on what you really want.