Facial Recognition malls of Canada

Just thought I’d share an interesting article regarding facial recognition in malls across Canada.

Guess I really shouldn’t be surprised. Funny how they got caught by leaving a browser window open, exposing the facial recognition software that was running!

I heard that news on CBC. It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Corporations have no soul and will do their worst until they get caught. The corp tried to pas it off by saying that they were not recording any data but just using the data in real time to track gender and age of store visitors.

So do you guys just have it in malls? In Chicago we have facial recognition cameras on streets and subways and shit like that . Pretty sure it’s like that across the states in major cities.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure, but I wouldn’t doubt that facial recognition is happening at some level. One wonders how much actually happens when there are so many cameras around these days.

1 Like

I’m going to grow a beard…

When I read that, the first thing that came to mind was the spy in Team Fortress 2 with the beard camera! :rofl:TF2spy

3 Likes

It’s not Just Alberta. 4K billboards at the 2nd largest mall near me, Metrotown, (in Burnaby, BC) also has the same tech. It’s facial recognition for demographic metrics of “Who’s looking at my ad?” (It’s advanced enough to detect skin color, build, age, gender, etc)

It’s tracking cookies, except IRL. And remember, you’re entering a private space when you enter a mall, so they can literally do whatever they want.

3 Likes

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.