Eypc Backup Server

found some insane deals on Epyc Cpus and boards looking at making a dedicated backup rig with True Nas Core-Scale Depending on which is better supported. ill be using this to back up my current nas as the measly 104tb is filling up fast and its limited in what i can do with it. got a case with 8 bays for hdds.

Parts List for Build

1. Epyc 7f52
  2. Supermicro H12SSL-i
  3. 32GBx8 PC4-19200R
  4. NH-U12s-TR4-SP3
  5. Evga Super Nova 1600 P2
  6. Cooler Master Cosmos 2 (Modded)
  7. intel Optane 905p 380gb
  8. 8x18tb Seagate Exos

from the videos iv seen from Linus and wendels videos you can have multiple nvme ssds act as a cache’s for various parts of the build.

i was looking to make the array as fast as possible and as fault tolerant as possible i know with True Nas ill lose 3 drives 1x for matrix size 2x fault tolerance.

Do note that EPYC requires RDIMM RAM, UDIMM’s won’t work. That’s experience :frowning:

I’d also suggest considering adding disk shelves for additional storage capacity. Linus did a video on the subject recently and simple (dumb) disk shelves themselves are fairly cheap on Aliexpress. It’s shipping that makes them expensive :frowning: As outlined in said video you need some suitable cables and an HBA, but also a power supply for the disks if the shelf doesn’t have one already.

i checked the boards site showed these were compatible as for shelvs not into a homelab scenario. was wondering what can i use nvme ssds to speed up this rig itll be used to incrementally back up the main nas wich is a Synolgy DS1621+ wiht 64gb of Ram 2x2tb 960 Pro ssds for cache and a 10gb duel nic intel x540.

Why this obsession for speed? It’s a backup system! You’re writing to HDD’s, which are slow. If speed really is a concern, switch your storage devices to U.2 or even U.3 drives. Be aware these are expensive (a 15TB U.3 drive (<- link) has a minimum on ebay of aproxx. 1200 USD) and good luck finding options for more then one or 2 drives connecting to a PCIe slot. But they come in large capacity (30TB and more) and are SSD based, so very fast. Micron, Kioxia and Intel are just a few brands to look for if you choose that route.

it’ll expand as time goes on i plan on making sure the drives have the some serious fast cache and tons of ram. plus it’ll be used for other services such as compression.