Extremely odd Windows file share issue

So this is an issue that has been bugging the crap out of me for the past 3 weeks. For context, this is a Windows AD environment. The file server is not the DC, running WS2016. The clients are all running Win10.

The issue is that 1 particular user (user A) will create a new file or folder inside a particular network share that everyone has mapped to drive letter K: via GPO. When the user does so, no one else can see the new file or folder, and if any other user creates a new file/folder in that drive K:, user A cannot see it.

I’ve seen this behavior before with Offline FIles enabled, but it has been disabled and the problem persists. I manually cleared the CSC directory too and it’s still happening. The weirder thing is its NOT consistent. Some days user A will have no trouble, some days they will. If they’re working from home and connected via VPN everything seems to work fine as well. I’ve removed user A from the GPO that maps the drives, disconnected the drives, rebooted, re-added user A to the GPO, rebooted, made sure the drives mapped correctly, and after that it worked for about 12 hours. I’ve logged into other user profiles on user A’s machine and this issue does not occur.

I’m at the point where i’m going to forcefully recreate user A’s local user profile because I can’t think of anything else to do. Anyone ever seen anything like this? It’s like Windows believes that Offline Files is enabled but it absolutely is not and there is nothing in CSC, but it’s still behaving as if it’s dealing with a cached version of the mapped network drive.

as its windows check the folders extended attributes.

someone may have incorrectly set a file/folder attribute causing the files to be hidden from the share.

not the worst page to bookmark either.

So I disregarded a major rule when troubleshooting this: “When you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras.”

Turns out the user had several shortcuts to folders inside their mapped drive. Except one of those shortcuts was not a shortcut, it was a local copy. So they were opening this local copy and creating file and folders inside it and then wondering why no one else could see it. I neglected to troubleshoot Layer 0.

1 Like