External GPU with UDOO X86 Ultra

Hey there peoples! I was looking for a single board computer for simple typing and web search stuff for college. I didn't want to go the ordinary chrome book route. Instead I opted to put something together and maybe learn something in the process. As I was looking at boards, the UDOO x86 ultra caught my attention. It is rather powerful for the price. Amd the io is pretty epic. Then I noticed it has two m.2 slots on the back. And I wondered if it is possible to connect it to an external gpu. The egpu requires a pcie connection. I figured maybe it can work. Can someone guide me please?

Here are links for the board and gpu adapter.
https://shop.udoo.org/usa/x86/udoo-x86-ultra.html?___from_store=usa&popup=no

https://m.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html

To be honest, it isn't. Like at all.

For example, this board has the same CPU and is less than half the price.

This one is more powerful and still significantly cheaper.

Alternatively, one that's even cheaper still and has a standard PCIe x16 slot.

Anyways, the adapter you linked is mPCIe to PCIe, not M.2 to PCIe. You'd need a Key B (or maybe E) M.2 to PCIe adapter, which I haven't seen too many of. I've seen Key M, but not B.

If you don't mind skipping the extra GPU, the mini-STX form factor is tiny and powerful.

It's possible to fit a full-fledged i7-7700K in a 5 inch by 5 inch square. Or a more reasonable hyperthreaded Pentium G4620.

1 Like

Hey thanks! I appreciate it:) it's way cheaper

Not necessarily a recommendation, but when comparing prices, consider that the Udoo x86 Ultra has 8 GB of RAM and a 64 GB SSD included in the price. You may still be able to build one of the others cheaper, but the RAM and Storage does add to the price.

I think that they would have bought something by now. Could we get a moderator to lock this thread?

Hi, I want to know if I can use my old GTX660 with the Udoo X86.I saw it’s possible due the M.2 port, but i don’t know if it will work.
Does anyone tried something like this?

Welcome to the forum! It should work if you get an m.2 to PCIE adapter. I’ve done this with an Intel Nuc before, a bit of a messy setup but it worked.
Also, it’s better to create your own post than to reply to a 2+ year old post :slightly_smiling_face: