Extend wifi to house about 210 meters away

Hi level1 teks,
I am planning to extend my fibre connection to my sisters house which doesn't have any internet connection.
I have researched different gear that could do the job but i'm a little rusty on my networking knowledge. Will i need to buy two antennae or just one to point at my house from hers?
Thanks.

get 2 directional antennas (i advise 5GHz), make sure you have clear sight line.

1 Like

There is a few thin trees in the way. Will they effect the reception?

they might, if you lower your frequency you should be able to pass through them. Maybe go with 1.8/9 or 800MHz but you'd need to find such antennas.

2 Likes

Setup a point-to-point connection with directional access points. Ubiquity has good (and affordable) solutions for this.

I've seen near gigabit speeds on a p2p 802.11ac link (over a distance of 1 km with dish antennas).

A direct line of sight is preferred, but a few trees won't impact the link all that much on such a short distance.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. i will do some more research into which antennae to get. I might do a small project log if it works out nice and cheap.

I think Yagi or Yagi-Biquad would make the signal propagation more concentrated and linear making it ideal for your task. Then again I'm no radio expert.

1 Like

This would work perfectly https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac/

1 Like

If you have trees in the way maybe look at 2.4Ghz instead as it travels through materials better https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/ is currently what I am using to bridge a 100 metre gap and that was complete overkill but would work great. Nanobeams are insane for the distance you want a 2.4 nano station should be more than enough to cover 210 metres.

2 Likes

This is your best option. Beyond that a yagi antenna.

Yagi antennas seem to be a lot cheaper than the ubiquity gear.
I had a look on ebay and there is yagi antennae for $25 this seems much more economical. $50 for two or $200 ish for a ubiquity setup.
Would a 2.4gz 25db yagi antenna be able to connect with just one antenna or would i need to setup two of them?
Thanks

i did a quick search on ebay as well and it looks like the yagi antennas are just the antennas, no radio included. The Ubiquiti gear linked above (the nano stations) includes the radio and the antenna.

So depending on what you'll be connecting the yagi antenna up to, it may or may not be cheaper than the Ubiquiti gear.

As for how many antennas you need, remember that traffic has to go both ways, just because you can transmit from one end to the other with one antenna doesn't mean that the client on the other end can transmit back.

This guy does a pretty good job at explaining how to set up wireless bridges using Ubiquiti equipment -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1fn6oC5ndU8WRmeSbUtfvYZMBmKkXKwx

I have quite a bit of experience with the Ubiquiti equipment. They are definently the way to go for cheap point-to-point wireless bridges. Depending on what your bandwidth requirements are you can pick up a set of them on Amazon for about 100-120 bucks. They are super easy to setup as well. The problem with getting antennas is that you lose signal strength the longer the cable is. The Ubiquitis have the antenna built into the radio.

To note tried lots of things before i went with Ubiquiti, tried repeaters (worked but constantly lost the connection between the two networks (not surprisingly). Did try an yagi antennas but due to where the devices had to be placed meant the aerial was too far away from the antenna and just created a poor connection (worked but was very slow).

So when I went to Ubiquiti thought i might still get some pains. How wrong i was, I just placed it on my window sill and one in the other houses attic and even with this terrible position the bridge worked perfectly (only problem being the bandwidth was quite low). Once I had fitted one on my outside wall I then had a perfect connection, seriously you get what you pay for when bridging networks, literally since I have had them installed I haven't had a single problem. Worth every penny.

This ubuiqiti gear sounds like the way to go. What do you think is the cheapest option? I'll continue researching in the meantime.

I used Ubuiqiti Gear to connect 4 school campus and a whole CCTV system over the neighborhood. So I would say yes, it would be the best option.

Depending on how much bandwidth you need that is the cheapest option. If you need more than 50-80mb than these will be your best option.

1 Like

this is a much cheaper solution just grab a roll of power cable from your local hardware store and your good to go since it covers 1000feet and your only using about 689.

Bringing mains from one isolated building into another is a bad idea...

Besides that, outdoor/underground rated mains cable is not cheap.

Point-to-point wireless is still the most cost effective option for a good connection.

this.

Also depending on where you live, you'll have different building and electrical codes to deal with.