Experiencing Some Freezing On Manjaro. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜¬ Anyone Have Any Tips/Suggestions/Advice? šŸ¤”

Man, I literally canā€™t remember the last time I actually posted here since itā€™s probably been a whileā€¦ :laughing: Still, the reason Iā€™ve been forced to post here is for good reason which I will touch on later in the post. For now though, why donā€™t we jump right in? :unamused: :man_shrugging:

Recently, my momā€™s pc became bricked & I had to help her switch to a different distro. [For anyone wondering/curious, sheā€™s absolutely TERRIBLE when it comes to tech since she doesnā€™t have time to get good at it which means, Iā€™m the tech guy around home. Also, we donā€™t have the original Windows installation media that came with her system & since Windows 8.1 is officially not supported any longer, thatā€™s why she runs Linux.] As of now, sheā€™s running Manjaro KDE Plasma & performance has been relatively good aside from some freezing that tends to occur once in a while. I ought to mention that her pc is a Dell Inspiron 3647 & the hardware hasnā€™t really been upgraded or changed whatsoever since getting it. Speaking of the hardware, Iā€™ve at least been able to determine there are NO issues with the hardware itself; itā€™s just a bit ā€œbehind-the-timesā€ compared to newer, more modern systems.

Getting Manjaro installed & setup wasnā€™t really a hassle thankfully, but Iā€™m not quite sure what the factor(s) are with the occasional freezing, but thatā€™s where someone here can come in! :slight_smile: She at least uses Stacer to clean up junk files & such several times a week, but Iā€™m curious to know if thereā€™s any other software out there for like optimizing Linux for a little more performanceā€¦ :thinking: [If you guys know of anything that can fit the bill here, sound off in the comments. :point_down: Iā€™d appreciate it! :clap: :+1:] I donā€™t really know what kernel sheā€™s on, but I left it at like whatever the default is which is probably fine unless she does need to be on a newer kernel for whatever reason(s). Lastly, her use is pretty basic: You know, web browsing, maybe using a built-in video player to watch a video online or via Youtube, etc.

Now, before Iā€™m officially done here, youā€™re probably wondering why I have to post here when you know Manjaro has an official forum of their own, & youā€™d be correct. But when I signed up, I never got a confirmation email & when I tried to join the official Discord server, I never got confirmation there either! :man_facepalming: :man_shrugging: So, that means this forum will have to do given the circumstances & that Iā€™m STILL waiting. [Also, I DO have some experience with Linux here & there, but I personally donā€™;t daily drive it given that Iā€™m more of a Windows type of guy.] I believe I covered all of the details, but if I forgot anything, or if you need additional info, feel free to ask & I will be sure to reply back best I can per my knowledge! :ok_hand:

With that being said, I hope someone here can help me out! :crossed_fingers:So, thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Never heard of it, and it shouldnā€™t be necessary, the common linux distros donā€™t clutter as the Windows OS does.

Your mom should be fine with just emptying trash or removing unused installed software.

You can see installed manjaro kernels in packages ā€œlinux**ā€ like ā€œlinux56ā€ is Kernel 5.6.xx

I think you should pick a lightweight Desktop environment instead of trying to increase performance of popular ones.