Excessive wear on Kingston NVMe SSD using OPN Sense firewall

Sorry for crossposting but I am not getting anything from the OPN Sense forums so hopefully the L1 crew can think of something.

I am running an OPN Sense firewall on dedicated hardware with an NVMe drive for storage. There are alarming levels of disk writes with minimal logging enabled and so far I am not able to figure out what is causing it. Zen armor is installed and the DB is using 11GB of storage.

Here is my original post with screenshots and smart information: Exessive SSD wear on Kingston m.2 NVMe

Hope some one is able to help with this issue since we are concerned about the SSD wearing out and failing.

If you cant figure it out this should solve all your problems.

1 Like

Maybe you have some caching turned on?
Or do you have things like Snort turned on?

1 Like

Someone theorized that netflow would possibly cause this, I have so far not been able to get to the bottom of what is causing the writes, since I am not that familiar with the underlying BSD architechture.

I am using Zen armour that is writing to an elastic search database in the background and causing significant writes. It should not how ever cause this much wear.

I have an OPNSense box with a 128GB SATA SSD. In the two and a half years it has been running it wrote 6,8TB of data to the drive. I do not use any fancy plugins, just basic routing capabilities. It wrote more data than I was expecting, but still far from unreasonable. This may help you the extrapolate the difference from my about 226GB a month to your over 2TB a in 30 days. It is certainly up to settings you made to the system, by default that’s not normal.

1 Like