EVs Who knows about them? Is there a no frills EV?

Im suppressed Toyota doesn’t have an all EV car. Hence whats planned?

the next few years, or next 5 years or so i could see myself switching if something comes out thats not ridiculous and has 300 miles and a physical dial for things and doesn’t do something stupid like refuse to turn on just because a screen doesn’t work.

Time for a 1990 Hilux chassis with a load of batteries strapped on.

As far as I know only the Chevy Spark is a basic EV I know about. All the other ones are very loaded with all sort of tech that could be stripped out

I don’t remember off the top of my head, but IIRC the temp controls are knobs, but the radio is partially knobs, partially touchscreen.

I do appreciate that the touchscreen is mounted high so I just glance right instead of down and right.

1 Like

They have something in the works but toyota doesn’t release something half baked, like Nissan, hyundai, vw and all the other shit evs out there.

I’ve never driven a single ev that felt good.

They all felt like a toy car

Rumor mill is that Toyota is going balls deep in EVs in the next couple years.

Should be interesting, they have enough R&D talent that I think they could make a truly good (enough) EV for the masses.

1 Like

Toyota did announce they had their own working solid state battery. Apparently they may have a car with it next year

Yeah, I think they weren’t satisfied with battery tech.

Damn, solid state batteries would be freaking wild.

Japan carmakers in general have shunned EVs for a while. Surprising, since they were the pioneers of hybrid tech in the 90s. The LEAF is the exception, but Nissan has done fuck all in the 9 years since.

Japan’s gov heavily pushed for hydrogen, it hasn’t panned out, and so the likes of Toyota will be a few years late to the EV party. It’ll come, though.

Indeed. Completely unsafe, not to mention frustrating to use.

It’s only done to save money - chucking in one screen and using 99% the same software across many different cars is far cheaper than buttons and dials, usually bespoke to each model. It’s penny-pinching, and is even more prevalent in EVs because batteries cost a lot, so they try to save money elsewhere.

I test drove a VW ID.3 recently. 95% of the car was absolutely brilliant. Nice looking, nice to drive, RWD, comfortable, spacious. But my god the infotainment and general lack of buttons single-handedly ruined the car for me. And they’ve done the same with the Golf 8, which I also tried. Wtf were they thinking?!

1 Like

Touchscreens painful shudder My contempt to touchscreens, has no bounds… I’ll willingly backpedal to a Brick Nokia, soon enough [I’m on a dated Crackberry]

I drove in a fresh-to-death Audi A6TDI last year, when over in Ireland [wasn’t remotely the car tier I planned on, but they were conveniently out of my car category, only to then go near-forcing me to buying their Insurance, when I had insurance / papers]. Once entering the car, I was getting concerned, to immediate lack of buttons. Only 1 button was present [for the E-Brake, of ALL things to get electronic’d upp!?] Turning on the car, lead me to seeing EVERYTHING was involving touchscreens /LCDs [front panel was massive screen]… I don’t think my mum, was ever been around me, performing such a circus act of swearing [with the stupid feccin’ screens not doing the feccin’ thing they’re supposed to do!?]… Heck, my Dated-AF Travel Phones Touchscreen, has better accuracy, for its runtish/primitive display

For the driving experience - it was an absolute breeze. Buhh Jesus on a Pogo Stick, I’d want NUTHIN’ to do with it!? Maybe I’d entertain looking, at an older iteration A6 […maybe?]

I dread moving to next car, whenever that happens [when my RAV4 finally has enough]… Unless I get my hands, on likes of a 4Runner / GX460

1 Like

so I’m guessing this isn’t a thread about the finer points of competitive pokemon training…
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

not electric vehicle but I was shocked to learn there are some cars that are powered by propane

the harley davidson Electric bike looks like ass

Citicar?..

I’ll try to remember to give you a real answer in a sec.

To simply answer you question, yes. More than you’d think.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I want just with more batteries :smile: (and maybe a tiny bit bigger)

2 Likes

Too bad you’re not in socal

EV West does electric swaps on whatever hooptie you tow into the shop.

So my favorite is a Chevy Spark EV. It’s been my daily for about 2 years now, and I still have a lot of fun in it. Also it will and did embarrass an automatic Subaru BRZ in a straight line.

I feel like everone has seen these videos at this point, but here's a couple videos of my car. First one is a burnout, 2nd is a race with an Acura TL

https://youtu.be/-_lY4SfR_mo

https://youtu.be/0c4vGr6ZAfA

Another (probably a better recommendation) is a 2013 or newer Nissan Leaf. It’s pretty roomy, comfortable, and it has a heated steering wheel which is extremely nice in an EV. You can get these for less than 7k.
I also owned one of these for a few years.

Mitsubishi i-MiVE

There’s also a Smart car EV, and if you want to be adventurous there’s the Wheego and the Ford Th!nk which at one point had a molten-salt battery which is wild.

If you want more recommendation let me know how much range you need.

2 Likes

Melt your passengers in the event of a collision!

Nice!

Almost as bad as hydrogen cars. Boom hindenburg.

Probably why I can’t find too much info on it in the car, but I do want to look into it, and possibly try making one at some point. Apparently they have pretty great power density.

1 Like

Smart made an EV version of the ForTwo. Pretty dinky 63 mile range. On a fresh battery pack. That was only warrantied for 4 years/50k miles. Smart no longer sells cars in the US so good luck getting parts through your local Mercedes-Benz dealer.

The Leaf is probably your best bet for a basic EV. They’re common enough you should be able to source junkyard spares.

Eden’s in UK and my local Benz dealer has an entire Smart department, specifically for servicing them.

Or at least they did last time I took my car in for service (september)