EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid Pump Issues?

Hey everyone,

Just doing a bit of a sanity check. The past week or so my 1080 Ti Hybrid from EVGA has been giving me issues. Sometimes when I turn on the PC the GPU fan (the one on the card and the one on the rad) spin up to about 65%. I check the temps and at idle the core is running at ~55-65C.

A complete shutdown and restart usually fixed it. No loud fans temps normal. Gaming performance absolutely fine. Sometimes it would take one or two restarts to fix it. But boom open up HWM64 and 28C. This would literally drop that fast in the 10 seconds it took to restart.

Tonight I booted up after getting home and it was doing it. 6-7 restarts and a driver update didn’t fix it.
I shut it down and let it sit for about half an hour. Booted up and all is well.

Feeling the tubes seems to show no/minimal flow when high temps are reported. It is hard to hear if the pump is running or not

This would be indicative of a pump failure correct? Like an intermittent pump failure?

I’ve contacted EVGA to get an RMA going but just want to verify this is a hardware issue with the cooler and not some weird software bug or other component throwing problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Seems like it, but also pretty odd that it would fail so soon.

How long have you had the card?

Not that long TBH. Less than a year.

Weird, I own an 1080 FTW hybrid and don’t experience any issues. If it was bubbles, you would notice it. It could just be the loop is contaminated and something is blocking the internal heat-sink.

Something to note with closed loop coolers is they do lose water over time. Water evaporates and permeates the tube but that’s only really an issue after 5 years or so and even then, only if your setup has the pump at the highest point in the loop. My H110 has this issue but a quick shake will break the bubble and distribute the air through the system.

Either way, EVGA is great for RMA’s, doesn’t matter what the issue is, I find they send a replacement almost immediately after the faulty device arrives. The only issue is the 1080 ti Hybrid is not a common card, so if they decide to replace instead of repair, you might end up with a different card entirely. How I went from a 780 to a 780 ti DT.

1 Like

Most people don’t have a stethoscope lying around, but you can use a screwdriver, instead. Place the blade on the body of the pump and the handle against your ear (obviously the longer the screwdriver, the easier this is). If the pump is running, it should be easy to hear/feel the vibrations.

3 Likes

I have a mechanics stethoscope. I’ll give it a try. Thanks

EVGA got got back to me this morning and told me to “vigorously shake my radiator to remove any blockages” so we’ll see if that works too if the pump is running

Just throwing an idea out there. Is it because those nvidia cards have the ZeroRPM mode often. Itnis usually around that 60-65 range right? Being a hrbrid of fans and block does it also maybe switch off the block pump when cool enough?