EVE _-=-_ The Rebuild

I have only talked about my first self built desktop a few times before. I haven't talked about it TOO much other than it was a pentium 4 and that I hacked it. You guys have seen me even talk about the specific machines before, HP\CompaQ D510 flatbeds.

These ugly fucks

Now, the original specs were....

P4 Prescott Socket 478 (I think?) @ 2.8 GHZ with active HT enabled (through bios wizardry... On the early models they did not have this but it could be activated with some bios updates, however it inhibited the multiple HDD capabilities on the machines I had access to). For the record, I needed this chip because the chip previous to it was a gen 2, same socket, 1.4 GHZ processor. Had no upclock, ran hot as shit. The chip I replaced it with was a major improvement, as you can figure.

2 GB Patriot PC2700 333 - 446 MHZ ram. I can technically put 3 in it but it isn't happy about it.

2X Modded Seagate UltraIDE V 40 GB HDD's. I have piles of these and have rewired them over the years as I went and as I needed to because.... I had this machine from 2009-2010 till 2015/ early 2016.

ATI 9600 Pro (could overclock it if I wanted to but never did). This card was a later on upgrade I tacked on that was an upgrade from the Intel GMA825 chip built in. The first time I played Minecraft was on the original GPU and the original CPU. The GPU upgrade and CPU upgrade too that experience from 10 FPS lowest settings to the highest settings possible on 32 bit machines in java at about 80 FPS. This is one of the reasons I have a fondness of 9X00 ATI GPU's and always will snatch them if I see them for sale or in bins.

The stock power supply was never replaced. Had heat issues, was replaced 2 times, fans always died.

Had a CD\DVD write all drive that has since died.

The motherboard was replaced once because I scattered the bios everywhere and blew up the board hacking it. Its just the stock 2002 HP board. Oh and it had a wireless card.

Stock heatsink and fan setup. This cannot be replaced.

Now during the time of using this machine I had to come up with ways to keep it cool. I took the cover off, not only from heat issues, but because I eventually had to when I put the 9600 PRO in. When the hard drives started chirping and exploding, I noticed they were actually getting too hot as well. The motors would grind from the heat because of where they were placed in the confined spaces of the case. So, I placed them in an easy to access area and collected a few copper heatsinks to attach to them.

You would be surprised at how much that alone improved the machine's running speed.

Now, I want to rebuild the machine completely. I think the processor fried, probably because I never used proc grease or anything like that. I think I used tooth paste if I am honest (and it did work if I remember correctly if only because the chip was THAT HOT under heavy loads). I don't have another 2.8 GHZ chip available, but I have plenty of 2.4G chips I can use. Same cache, HT enabled, just change that out. Then I have a cooler master PSU I want to use in it. Nothing new, an old IDE one, but I got it new in box on a scrapping run. Then I want to have the CD drive replaced and 3 HDD's set up. I think I still have a random 200 gig drive that I found in some PC (that was a holy shit moment for me because I had never owned one before in an age where 320 - 500 GB drives on Sata 3 were normal). Then, I want to pop the bios open again and see if I can bump some of the bus speeds for a 9600LE I have. If I can pop the bus up a little bit it should all run better.

Now trust me, I know it isn't the newest shit available but, well, its my little turd wrapped in gold foil. I'll probably put Windows Xp back on it (as well as Icaros lol) and install all the games I used to play on it. I'll get the shitty ergonomic keyboard I used to use out to put with it and go all out to make it a good machine again.

So, soon as I start that all up, maybe tomorrow or the day after, I'll post here again.

5 Likes

Oh my goodness the toothpaste cooling method. LOL!

1 Like

Lololol the tags

1 Like

I forgot to mention, the machine's name was EVE.

Because it was an EVO series.

1 Like

I've still got one of those Compaq's plugged into my Corp SAN.
It's got a serial ports so until it dies I'll keep it around for backup console duties!

As long as you don't move it it won't die. I have one of these in the high school I went to running as a piggy back for some servers I manage once in a while. Thing has been turned on and left alone since 2011/2012.

I used tooth paste as grease before. When the cpu got hot, the paste basically turned into water and oozed all over the place. The only bright side was that every time I used the computer my room smelled like mint.

&& good luck on eve.

Will be posting the rebuild today. I think it'll be my Aros machine permanently. If I add another HDD someday (only doing the 2 40's) I'll have XP on that one.

Pictures later.

Aight, now for the whole pile.

The box. Don't need that cover tho.

Oh god what the fuck ram is that.

EW BURN IT

Ayyyy there we go. 2 GB.

ATi 9600LE. Could use my pro but... well you'll see.

Uhhh

Fixed

Whoever designed this chip is a bitch. Spent way too much time popping this and the bios sector. Ugh.

Old PSU. This actually operates at 120W. Not gunna work.

PSU out, drives in place, for now.

I'm scared... I used toothpaste.

Ohh thats why it won't turn on anymore..... Ew, I have another box. RIP EVE.
But I did the same thing that I did to this box to the other one I have.

The other one.

Oh thats where I put it....

This is actually a new PSU but I don't like it as much as the one I want to use.

WTF chip is this?

Fun fact. P4 2A runs at 2 GHZ but the FSB jumps around in clock. On every chip. Has no HT either.

OH HEY I HAVE ANOTHER ONE OF THESE! These are great.
HT and base clock is 1.866 but running it goes to 2.8.
Cleaned it.

I have this wierd shit.

Non conductive. Used on TVs cars radios, everything.

Meh, needs more.

There we go.

Now to find the PSU.

In here?

Yup there it is.

PSU, double cables.
Leggo.

Ghetto mounts. Not enough screws around.

Wired up.

Yeet.
Aaaaaaand the PSU didn't work.... Would hang, PSU wiring different.

New PSU in again, it'll work cus its full 175.

Now lets talk about EVO service lights.

If you have this in green.

(it is green)

and these are off at the power button.

You're good.

If that first light is red, then theres another one by the CPU block that can be green yellow red or brown, and any of the other lights in the front are on, something is fucked and you need to reroll.

And we're good.

Checks out.
Also take note of the stepping. Thats actually an error code because the BIOS has no clue what it is reading because its patched. It might be a stepping label somewhere, but on this machine it doesn't mean anything. Its a factory code.

This is getting icaros. Will post again with a few screenshots.

3 Likes

The wider shots from this post are going to end up on /r/neckbeardnests

5 Likes

True. I have a table nekt to my bed and shit falls onto the edge of my box spring a lot.

welp them pics made me feel better about myself, thanks

great you got it done!

now.... going to take a shower with steel wool to make myself feel clean

1 Like

Enjoy seeing blood.