Europe is on its way to digital distopia

Wow I am in Ireland and that is not a thing, like at all.

1 Like

Not in UK either. However this does exist in Germany, Spain, Austria, Slovakia and probably few others.

I went to post office once to buy a SIM, and the lady at the window goes: Can I have your government ID? And I was like

Not a thing in Finland either, I remember being in Australia and a damn prepaid SIM required all personal info.
Was kinda baffled.

That is the thing, it does not. After 3 years, all sites need to put mechanisms in place to take down copyrighted material.
The only way arround that is to be like wikipedia, meaning no ads and no profit.

Here in Slovenia everything is so relaxed around the internet. You can download or do anything and you are 99% fine. SIM cards are hanging around every store and we have decent fiber. Sooo As much as you want to paint UK = the rest of Europe remember it’s only 1 country on this continent.

2 Likes

Slovenia is subject to the same EU laws, eventually the deadline will hit to implement those laws, including things like the new digital copyright directive.

1 Like

The laws could be made super relaxed and not be enforced.
Remember: EU Guidelines are not laws.

1 Like

Are we discussing 4th grade social studies and geography? Lol Europe is a continent folks…

The European union is a regulatory governing body albeit quite the piss poor one right now. The problem with echo chambers of considerably leftist politics is exactly this… Restrictions to the rights to do what you wish with your own property and not be taxed to death to support a cause or agenda you really don’t support.

A lot of European countries have a decent tax system though so this is not the issue. The issue is of property. The internet belongs to all and none at the same time. It is a neutral zone. Governing bodies should have zero say on it’s use. Nor should it be blamed for a crime. Its like blaming the gun for the actions of the human. Also putting your own custom radio software on hardware is important. Not just with routers but also consider ham radio operators and SDR folks. This seems like its going to hurt them pretty bad.

I see an underground movement forming which makes me smile

2 Likes

I get that. But for an example. A whole decade has pasted when piracy started to become noticable. Austria, France, Germany they all started to fine people for it but here no one is even lifting a finger. I know it’s bad but here piracy is common day practice music, movies, games everything goes without VPNs and other stuff.

1 Like

A directive isnt a guideline in the EU. Directives set out what countries must implement, but not how they implement it as law. All EU countries for example will have to implement laws which meets the new digital copyright law within a certain time-frame. but they still must implement it as law.

Regulations on the other hand are immediately binding by the EU in all member states simultaneously.

1 Like

There’s always methods to circumvent the rules, but sometimes the solutions to technical problems aren’t technical.
Foster people to not be assholes and give them a payroll that allows them to consume.

Depending on how it’s put into national law, sites like this should fall under the exemption, as it’s not being run for profit.

I don’t know how this works at all.

After reading that I had the thought. This forum is not for profit but the entity that runs it, L1 in some name, is so does it come down to the individual site or the controlling entity that needs to comply?

Been following all of this and don’t. Know what to even say. This trend unfortunately isn’t endemic to Europe. Don’t see this going anywhere good.

Clown World, man.

2 Likes

Wasn’t a thing in Belgium either … until they found out that the guys behind the Paris and Brussels attacks used unregistered prepaid SIMs.
From then on the government did their very best to convince people that “only criminals and terrorists want to communicate anonymously”.

Within 6 months they approved a law to make registration mandatory. Existing unregistered SIM owners were given another 6 months to go to a store and register theirs.
By the end of that period, there were still half a million unregistered SIMs out there (on a population of 11 million). Those were simply disconnected.

Funny detail : Alexander De Croo, the minister of telecom who pushed and implemented this law, was against the idea less than a year prior. He didn’t like it because evereyone would be treated as potential suspects. It also would be an administrative nightmare for the telecom providers, would have no result because criminals have so many other ways to communicate etc.
Yet here we are, and if I want to make anonymous calls nowadays I need to resort to a foreign prepaid SIM or go to a shady shop to buy one that’s registered in someone else’s name.

And then there’s this…

1 Like

That’s no different from what the CBP already does in the US, just a larger scale because the EU has more residents and more activity at the borders.

In the past every EU country had its own database and no other country had access to that data. If you for example entered the EU in France, only France had access to the data. Looks like they’ll be connecting the databases now, so that other countries can access that data if needed.

1 Like

In order to be able to use non-visa regime with EU in Ukraine, you have to make a new passport with bio ID.

I hate this. Still made it…

as a sidenote, this is one hard to read article:
the adspying overlay can’t get killed by inspect element, so i use torbrowser, then scrolling down in the german version of the article (not the english version) throws out
“noscript xss warning”.
why can’t we have “news” sites without a bunch of cancer to deal with?

now in regards to the article, sebastian kurz is a child murdering supporting psychopath.
this is clear, because he fully supports israel’s psychopathic childmurdering government.
and supporting this criminal legislation makes it even more clear, that he’s in breach of trust and everyone standing behind this criminal legislation is.
so much stuff to fight in austria, the psychopathic government wants to push smart meters in every home, which are direct spying devices with massive health issues along side it, then there is 5g to fight, there are of course forced vaccines to fight, and now they want to take away all internet freedoms :confused:
fuck this world, i wanna be in a place without a psychopathic government, like lybia during gadafy, u know when the government actually did things to improve the lives of people, before the country got “freed” :confused:

why can’t people just wake up and throw all those psychopaths in government in a dark prison hole or worse, where they belong?
is it so hard to see, that they are worldwide fighting together against our freedoms?
i mean they officially meat up to discuss how to get the prison system tighter at meetings like the bilderberger meeting, so why are people still not seeing the systematic worldwide approach to take away our freedoms and the breach of trust done by those psychopathic governments worldwide!?

Trolling is for #community:off-topic, this topic is for semi-serious (at minimum) discussion. No more please.