Eschalon: book III

It's a new game, though very old school and retro. If you have played the earlier games, you will feel right at home. Remember the old Fallout games? This is like them, isometric top down view, turn based etc. I think the story is kinda nice and with some depth to it too. Maybe not as deep as Planescape: Torment, but pretty close.

Available on Steam, GOG and should been at Basilisk Games site, but they were with Godaddy, a mistake it seems. Servers went down two days ago and have stayed down. I guess the horror stories about Godaddy are pretty much true. Check out Basilisks twitter. Screenshot:

Basilisk updates their Facebook Page though, and have links if you want to buy the game directly from them.

I really like the game. The old school turn based and unforgiving system is right up my alley. Walk into an area full off angry wolfs? Better be prepared for a tough battle or be good at running away :)

The game only runs in 1024x756 (windowed or fullscreen), a limitation of the engine. It's the last game they do on this engine, the last in the series. The first Eschalon game ran at 800x600. Works very well for me in full screen though, I've played hours and hours already.

Launcer:

Character creating is also ofcourse very old school, stats are rolled and you can choose what kind of person you want to play.

The skill-system is pretty basic, a new skill costs three points, but all skills costs just one to increase one. The Cartographer skill creates the mini-map, if you don't have it, you get no mini-map. There are trainers is the game, some skills can be bought for gold. Not all trainers will trust you enough right of the bat though, you might have to earn their trust.

When you're laid out all your skill and attribute point's you can go on the the game! But first some choices about gameplay rules, why not?

You can make the game easier or harder on yourself, as you like. Having played the other games in the series, I choose the worst 'cause I have more fun that way :) After a short story intro we are cast into the game, the starting area is like a tutorial in a way, you learn the game as the move on.

Just as it says, F1 and F4 are helpful if you are new to this game. I have had some bugs pop up, but nothing game breaking so far. I think this a nice little game from a small developer.