Error code "AD" on Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P

Hi. I’m not able to reach post on my new build Instead I get the “AD” error; the motherboard manual says that this code corresponds to “Issue Ready to Boot event for OS Boot”. When I’ve looked online the problem seems to be display-out related, i.e., everything is fine but the BIOS can’t load up visually.

I know all of my hardware is working because it was yesterday before I swapped out my motherboard and CPU. The CPU and motherboard were working perfectly according to to the last owner (although he was running a dual 3080Ti setup with a 4K and a UHD display). I have tried clearing CMOS, and I have tried every available BIOS revision on Gigabyte’s website. I have tried unplugging my peripherals and other devices and I have also tried different PCIe slots for my graphics card. I have also tried using one or two DisplayPort cables, and I have tried three different HDMI cables. I have also reseated my memory, tried using one or two sticks, and I have even tried a different graphics card since I have an old Quadro lying around. Nothing has worked.

The only thing left which I haven’t tried is using different displays, however I don’t own any others and all I could borrow would be via family with older HDMI-only televisions.

As far as I can tell there are two solutions to the problem. Either I buy new monitors, which I cannot a currently afford; or I buy a new motherboard, assuming that this one is either incompatible with my setup or broken.

Relevant specs are as follows:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
Thermaltake ToughRAM DDR4-3200 (2x8GB)
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
SeaSonic Focus GX 650W
2x AOC G2590VXQ

Any info or advice would be great.

I would probably start with trying a different display. “AD” isn’t really a non-post event. Here’s a post that may give you some insight.

That post is exactly what I was referring to in my first paragraph. I even posted at the bottom. OP solved his issue by using a modern, newer display whereas I’ve been using DisplayPort: no adaptors nor anything of the sort.

Later today I’ll try a different display courtesy of my brother, and will update on how it goes.

I have no words for this level of BS. I am genuinely curious as to how precisely this board has panel preferences, though I’m sure the explanation is beyond me. I’ll get everything set up and report back in case I can use my own monitors.

Try an DHMI cable. I’ve seen many youtubers lately that have had issues with newer boards and video cards that just refuse to use DP during POST and initial boot. Swapping to HDMI seems to work just fine until Windows is installed.

Hey, we’ve been building a new pc today and ran into the same issue. Took out graphics card, screen worked and got into bios. Put graphics card back when you have the bios settings right :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.