Ergosoft Ripping Workstation

Streetguru you are not looking at a business point of view. A business wants to make as much money as possible and if the tools at hand does work they will loose money. As for overclocking it add a level of instability regardless how light the overclock is. Why do you think that i5 4690k is not released at the clock speed of 4.3 Ghz instead of the 3.5 Ghz because Intel knows that all of the 4690k's will run at that speed and not received thousands of thousands of hate of the 4690k constantly crashing due to the cpu is clocked way to high for it to run stable. There are forum posts of people graphics cards that are clocked higher than the reference and had to tone it back down.

My apologies just realized that I did not know that all E5 CPU support Dual CPU Configuration. the ones that have the 1 in E5- 1650 only support one cpu. the E5 models that have the 2 like Intel Xeon E5-2643 V2 3.5GHz 6-Core have dual CPU support.
Your going to be looking at forking quite a bit of cash but you can make it up over time.

I think we want to stick with a minimum of 8 cores per CPU. That ensures we will be ready for future machinery. It also allows us to run 1 CPU for our current setup, and add another CPU once we acquire more equipment.

Browsing through Intel Ark, I'm following Ergosofts' recommendation and sticking to One Core/Thread per job. It seems that some of the 10 and 12 Core processors are only slightly more expensive than some of the 8 Cores.

I am taking your Motherboard recommendation but with a slight tweak and going with the Z10PE-D16, over the D8. So we are looking in the Xeon E5 2600 V3 Processor Family.

Keep the input coming! We are still brainstorming ideas!

How about the HardDisk setup?
- We will definitely use the M.2 slot on the MB for the OS and General Programs. As far as what we want to use for the Texprint application is still, "up in the air", if you will. I think using one or two of Intel's PCI SSD's would be great.

Here is the best CPU model that I could find that has a good clockspeed to core ratio.

Intel Xeon E5-2687W V3. It's 3.1GHz and has 10 physical cores. cost around 2 grand per cpu. Just be warned that its sucks a lot of power and runs hot.

Just ordered the parts, went with the e5-2687w v3. Will update when parts arrive!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bzswLk

This is the current build list. We are sticking with 1 CPU for now, as we don't think the 2nd CPU will need to be used until we add more printers. We may increase the NVME drive to 1TB as well. I will update with the final list.

Cool shit man. Slightly jealous of your budget ;)

Gotta spend money to make money! We still need to add a Monitor, think we will be going Ultra-Wide; maybe an LG?

Sounds good man, they're great for productivity.

Finalized List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p74r4D

Going to be adding a larger SSD soon; don't know if it will be another AIC or a 2.5" SATA.

Parts will be arriving Christmas Eve; will post back then!

Case just arrived! Looks awesome but unfortunately there was some damage, and some missing pieces. Two of the 5.25" bay covers were missing, found one by the PSU cover; also, some of the front panel clips are broken off. Waiting for Phanteks to open to give them a call. Just need replacement pieces, not a whole case! so far we should be able to meet our deadline of January 5, 2016!

1 Like

I really like basically everything about the parts listed on your finalized parts list above, especially the 10 core CPU which is much more able to handle multiple printers (multiple executions of tasks).

The main thing I want to stress here is the fans being used in your system are NOT enterprise grade and will not last a very long life at what is assume is going to be 40+ hours of heated load every week for the rest of that system's life.

The fan on CPU is particularly most important and a sleeve bearing is not good enough for a professional's system.

Here are the 120mm fans I would recommend for long term use:
1) Delta AFC1212D-PWM Fans
2) Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM Fan

Both of these are available for $20-$25 in the USA and should last I would guess something around 3-5 years 24/7/365 use. Based on their good bearing and lubrication design and MTBF claims.

I would strongly urge you to replace the stock cooler master Heatsink fan with one of these instead to avoid future headaches.

I only say this because you are a business that could lose clients becuase of ill fated hardware issues and also I have had around 1/3 of my 212 and 212 Evo fans start to go south on me after about 2 years of intermittent use, not even close to what I assume will be much more taxing loads at your business.

Good luck and keep us updated! That build looks super sexy!

Thanks for your reply! I'll get the fans on order probably after the holidays! So I've got the CPU, RAM, MB and CPU Cooler installed. Pictures to come! I promise!

The only issue so far is, with the PSU fan side down, the MB power connector will not reach; I know I could run the PSU fan side up, but with this case having a cover, I really don't think it would be good to do so. EVGA is closed today, and I'd like to see if they can send me a longer cable, I don't want to fool with extensions.

Flipped the PSU over (Fan Side Up), installed the PSU cover, and there is maybe 2mm clearance between the PSU case, and the PSU cover. I may run the system with fan side up, and no PSU cover, get the system up to date and files transferred and by that time I should have a longer cable!

Here's a couple pictures so far! I really really really dig this case! Although I noticed yesterday that I cannot use 1 standoff, the right side just under the last DIMM slot does not have a hole for a standoff, but I have all others secured and the motherboard feels secure.

The few reviews I could find of the Motherboard said that it was a very slow boot, and I was expecting it to be much slower; but I usually hit the desktop in about 20-30 seconds. The 2 things I have a slight issue with; the HD Audio header is all the way next to the I/O headers, and there is only 1 USB 2.0 header. Granted I will not be using audio that much so I could unplug it, but I'm too OCD for that! As for the USB header, I could get a PCI-E card that has USB ports I suppose.

The CPU is idling at 29˚C which I'm perfectly fine with. I'm still waiting on my 950 Pro, so I have the OS installed on the Intel SSD for now. I'm having a hard time getting the motherboard to pick up the nVidia NVS 310, but I think it may be a faulty chipset driver install. Other then that, so far so good!

1 Like

So to provide some numbers for anyone who may be interested in the performance increase, here is what I have thus far.

Old System: We were only able to RIP 4 jobs, and doing so caused the CPU Usage to hit 100%, and ran at about 60˚C. The computer at that point was pointless to try to operate until the jobs were finished.

New System: Able to RIP 10 jobs, using 60% CPU usage, at only 37˚C. Computer runs perfectly normal, and the fans are whisper quiet.

File transfer speeds are insanely fast as well!

So can you rip more jobs or is it one job per cpu core? Also how are the benefits of the build doing for you.

Yes, with the Dell system, we were limited to 4 RIP jobs max. That's 1 RIP per CPU Core. Now we can RIP 10, still @ 1 RIP per CPU Core. I installed the Delta Fans, and man are those things nice!! The CPU doesn't get hot enough for them to ramp up, so I don't have any noise complaints. The ambient sound in the room is quite loud, such as the printers, the humidifier fan, etc; so not like noise would be bothersome anyway. But it's nice to know it has all that power while staying whisper quiet.

The benefits are awesome; compared to prebuilt dell system, we saved at LEAST $1,500. Now to some people, it's worth the extra cash to have the customer support, yadda yada yadda, but when you weigh in the ability to pick and choose each and every component of the system, you know you're getting the best of the best in hardware; there is NO doubt this computer will outlast any of the other store bought systems.

Note: I am certainly not knocking Dell, we probably use about 25-40 Dell systems daily.