Ergosoft Ripping Workstation

Our company is looking to improve the speed at which we can rip files to our printers. Briefly, we currently have 8 Mimaki JV5 printers, 1 computer per pair (4), and 1 Workstation that can control and Rips to each.

The current workstation is a Dell Precision 5810 with a Xeon E5-1603 v3, 32GB DDR3 Ram, Samsung SSD, and an Nvidia Quadro. We currently rip up to 4 files to the remote machines, which makes the CPU peak to 99% until completed. The RAM never goes about 40%, so that's no issue.

Now here are the current influences on how we go forward with this; we also have a laser cutting table, which is operated by another Dell Precision, but it is a 3000 series, rocking the same Xeon E5-1603 v3. That machine uses CAD programs for the cutting process. That particular machine shows no signs of maxing out the CPU. We are about to receive another laser cutting table, which means we need another computer to operate the CAD programs, etc. The initial plan was to build a computer comparable to the Precision 3000, but tweak it a little.

The Printing Department manager then told me about the workstation situation that I explained earlier, and we thought maybe we can build a extreme workstation, and move the 5810 to the new laser. Although I would LOVE to build an insane workstation, I don't think it would be cost effective to move the 5810 to the new laser. Potentially, we could possibly upgrade the CPU in the 5810, and use the E5 processor in a fresh build for the laser.

The RIP software is by Ergosoft, here is a link to the Manual (http://www.ergosofttech.com/assets/appnoteslinkedtoc.pdf).

Jump to Page 20 for the recommend system configuration. In summary it states that having a CPU with more physical threads is necessary, as the program cannot use the multi thread feature. So which CPU would be ideal, if we decide to upgrade or build a fresh WS?

I would like to hear the tek syndicate communities thoughts on this, and I am completely up for any suggestions! If you need more information, just ask!

Thanks!

I'm not sure what they mean by more physical threads. Maybe they just mean faster per core performance

What's your budget?

Sounds like it can use as many threads as it wants, but I'm not sure that hyper threading is going to affect it exactly, if it really wants physical cores for whatever reason then an opteron set up would be the way to go, but those are rather slow per core compared to anything intel

Also you may want some NVME SSDs for the read/write performance on them, or you could go crazy and buy a ton of RAM for a huge RAMdisk

http://www.ergosofttech.com/assets/settings-for-optimal-performance.pdf
-
-
ErgoSoft RIPs allow users to customize how many processor threads the program can start and run at the same time. The default value upon installation is 1, since this works on all systems. Modern MultiCore processors however can handle more threads at a time, which can be a big benefit since the RIP Software can then split up the workload to improve the performance of the individual program modules and user interface. To increase the maximum number of threads for the program, close the software and go to „Start/Programs/ErgoSoft RIP 14/Maintenance Tool”. Then open the “Automatically Start Programs” application. The setting “Threads per Server” lets users set the maximum amount of threads for the ErgoSoft RIP that can run at the same time. It is however recommended that the maximum amount of threads shouldnot exceed the number of cores (i.e. one thread per core) in the processor to ensure smooth performance.

"To achieve high raster speeds, it
is recommended to have a high tact frequency on the individual processor cores rather than a large amount of
cores, as the RIP-Server process profits most from a high performing individual core."

I guess that they recommend using something like, a Quad-Core @4.0 GHZ, over a Hexa-Core @3.5 GHZ, but I'm not quite sure.

Budget is within reason. We strive for streamlining our production, so if the computer can be efficient at a $2000 budget, so be it, but if it needs to be a $10,000 to $15,000 workstation, then we will go for that.

As for Hard Disks, I will definitely be going with a PCI SSD from Intel, or M.2 if we go with a fresh WS build (if WS Motherboard support that).

We have already done the processor threads instructions.

Thanks for your fast reply!

You probably want a 5820k unless you wanted to drop $700 more on a 5960X which has 2 more cores/4 threads

some overclocking stuff for Haswell-E

gimme a second

Awesome information there, I definitely like the i7-5960X, and that was actually my top choice. As far as the predicament of whether to build a fresh Main "Ripstation" and let the new laser inherit the 5810, what are your thoughts?

Depends if your current laser system is held back

You probably don't want water cooling to eliminate risk of any leakage, so went for the massive air cooler+ fan it should be fine, it's supposed to be able to handle a 300W TDP with a fan, and that fan can move 158 CFM

There's that for some idea I suppose, not sure exactly how much the storage speed matters but if you're feeling insane you could always get 2 and run them in RAID 0, there's also the option for M.2 drives, but you aren't going to use more GPUs are you?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2D3y6h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2D3y6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-22 Fanless CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE/U3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($388.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($27.38 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1320.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-09 19:57 EST-0500

We monitored the computer that operates the CAD programs for the current laser and it has no excessive usage. Do you think for the workstation the Xeon E5 line would better suit our needs, like MrChumps said?

As for GPU's, nothing but a NVidia Quadro.

Well if it's working fine I wouldn't change it, just keep the old system as a back up in case something goes wrong or turn it into a NAS maybe

You may have misread the first post, I know its a lot of info in a small post. If we are to build a WS for the Print Department, the existing 5810 would be used on the new laser. Alternatively, we could upgrade the 5810's CPU and use the old processor for a more budgeted build for the new laser.

Do note, our current setup of 8 printers is temporary, the room is set up to run 16+ in the near future, so maybe a insane WS build that would be able to handle 16 would be necessary.

That CPU appears to be a slightly different socket or version of the socket I guess that's

FCLGA2011-3

and if this random forum post is anything to go by you might run into some BIOS issues
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303915-28-difference-sandy-bridge-fclga1155-lga1155-sockets

also I guess it depends on the motherboard you're using as you could just upgrade the CPU, but I don't know how well overclocking is going to work. upgrading would get you faster stock clocks though as that chip only runs at 2.8 GHz

also you sure that isn't 32gbs of DDR4 memory?

The current processor in the Dell 5810 is the E5-1603, socket FLCGA2011-3.

The memory may in fact be DDR4, I assumed it was DDR3 since the machine is about 1-2 years old.

Here is a guideline of what I build that may be suitible for your workload. I am no expert I am some jagoff who has been learning computer hardware on the internet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/btntvK
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/btntvK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/btntvK/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($276.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PNY Quadro K5200 8GB Video Card ($1649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS SSI EEB Server Motherboard ($582.99)
Total: $3122.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-09 20:35 EST-0500

The motherboard can support 2 or Dual CPUs and PCPartPicker did not let me add another cpu due to more aimed at consumer who generally play PC Games and normal consumer use. You wanted to go Quadro so I chose the K5200 which I think enough for the job.The ECC memory is just for extra safety. I have skimmed over the PC recommendation PDF. I know its missing hard drives but you can fill that in. Just don't forget to buy two Heatsink coolers for the dual cpu setup.

Awesome man! That is exactly what I need! I will go over this with my guys tomorrow and decide what we will do! I will post back tomorrow!

I would suggest if you got the extra cash is to grab this.
Intel Xeon E5-2643 V2 3.5GHz 6-Core. It cost about $1600 per CPU but I think it should be enough for your workload.

It sounds like he needs more per core performance though, hence the overclockable chips i suggested.

1 Like

Yes but stability and time becomes a factor. He is not going to stress test CPU for like a week and how well is the stress testing. Wasting precious money that the company that can be making. Even though the software requires likes a high CPU speed and clocks whatever that is. I want it to last as long as possible and stable so I chose the E5 Xeon chip. You also didn't read his workload which seems to be very demanding runing 16+ printers....

Yes, stability is key. If the workstation goes down, it could interrupt the printers. Although I am unsure as to whether they will continue because the WS Rips the file to one of the 4 Sub workstations, and the printing process is started at any of those 4.

If the workstation goes down you can loose important files and work progress that you can not recover which equals money loss and if the work that costs more than you bye bye, here is the door, good riddance.

Exactly, our work is only as good as our equipment!

It doesn't have to be an extreme overclock or anything, but if it saves time down the line then after a certain point the time spend stress testing it would have been worth it

A lot of people seem to hit 4.2 -> 4.3ghz easy

Record for now I guess is 5.8ghz on LN2