EPYC Memory Configuration

Followed Level1 on YT for a while. Seeing the Epyc workstation build has motivated me into building an EPYC system.

(that and getting a stunning deal on a 7401P…)

So, finding SP3 boards in the UK has proven to be difficult, however, I seem to have found a supplier that can sell me a Gigabyte MZ01-CE1 (ATX, no 10GBe - dont need it…).

I planned 8 (new) sticks of 8GB 2400 mhz DDR4 ECC to make 64GB, fully populated.

For similar money, I could go for 4 sticks of 2nd hand Samsung 32GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2133P

It will become my replacement ESX 6.5 server where I run a number of Xubuntu virtual desktops, so no multimedia heavy lifting/encoding etc

• Am I going to see much difference dropping from 2666/2400 to 2133?
  • How big a deal will it be to only populate 4 slots ?

My gut tells me twice the memory will outway the speed but I am really not sure about half populated vs fully populated…

Any advice gratefully received…

This will surely help you make the right choice for your workload.
In my opinion it’s not worth because you’re resorting to a dual rank DIMM for just 8GB per stick. I don’t think 2R DIMM at 2133 is faster than a 2400MHz 1R DIMM. You’ll probably be fine with the 32GB kit if you’re not going to hit that machine with significant loads, but it might stutter a bit if four VMs on it are decently loaded. But why get that kit instead of the 64GB new kit, which is surely much better in terms of throughput?

Thanks for the link (which I hadn’t seen for some reason) and the reply. I will read and absorb; its been a while since I had to fuss with memory.

When I said " 4 sticks of 2nd hand Samsung 32GB" I meant 4 sticks of 32, so 128GB in total (twice what I would get new)