Epic games store opening up... Steam is so not even bothered

Now the question, will the big names like Journey have DRM. If not I might well pick it up and just add it to steam. If it NEEDs their launcher I can pass, I have plenty of games.

The Epic Store doesn’t have its own DRM, no equivalent to Steamworks. So you should be able to just launch its games.

That doesn’t mean the games are DRM-free, of course each developer can add their own DRM.

No one knows if they did. It’s an unrelated site stating it explicitly without release date. Could be that some guy related to the project said “Journey is on our want list and would be great”.

To the whole: I’m torn. I really dislike the fact that basically all of my Games are on Steam. Any purchase i made could be gone with one company. And no company is to big to fail. So, what do we do, once Steam will go down.

On the other hand, i really dislike the amount of “Launcher”, “Stores” and additional applications i have to install for most games.

I feel like this should be handled similarly to other Network standards. There needs to be a standardized distribution model for Digital Software. One that can be freely used by any Developer and any company can make their Client for. Beeing universal it would free your purchases from a single company but be a universal standard. I have no clue how this would work (or if), all i know is, that steam will not be there forever. And we should develop a plan how i show to my Son in 20 years what i played today. Like My father showed pong and pacman to me.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to correct you, but I think you are wrong here. Steam had 125 million active users in 2014 and over 10 million users logged in at the same time in 2015. So I’m pretty sure they have at least also 200 million users now.

Besides that, I think it should be noted (because there seems to be some wrong information being passed around…), that
1: Steam doesn’t force anyone to use their DRM (or some other kind…). Here are 2 lists (there are others too… quality may vary :wink: ) of some completely DRM-free games on Steam:

and 2: Steam is WAY more than just a store for a developer (there is the steam runtime which helps a lot with avoiding compatibility problems, Steam VR, the Steam HD-Audio-Project (forgot the name), Valve Anticheat, the Forums, the statistical System, the Audiochat, the Workshop, their great Servers and lots of other things ranging from support for integrating multiplayer into your project to even doing the linux support for you via Steamplay. (Some of their work is even fully FOSS-licensed so you could use it if you are not using steam at all…) Maybe the price-cut isn’t the only point in making the decision on which store you are going to sell your game.