Enabling HDR on a Samsung Q80R as a PC monitor

Hey guys, don’t really know if this is the right place but:

So I’m running a Samsung Q80R as my main PC display.
Whenever I try turning on HDR in games that support it (Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal) it doesn’t work (screen gets desaturated).

I have enabling it from the display settings in windows and I still get the same result.

I tried to downgrade the settings to 422 10bit (instead of RGB 8bit). Still nothing. In the TV settings I have it setup as a PC monitor with game mode enabled.

I’m running an RTX 2070 Super. Does anyone have any idea?

I seem to remember tools that will read out the display’s EDID information and interpret it for you. Try to find one.

I suspect your TV is one of those that disables a bunch of stuff for “PC monitor mode.”

You might also need to turn on some kind of HDMI 2.0 / 2.1 mode. I have an LG television that won’t do 4K @60Hz unless I enable its “Deep Color” support on the HDMI port. Because “Deep Color” is what enables HDMI 2.0 for it.

Anyway, the EDID tool will help you determine if the problem is on the TV or the Nvidia side of things.

Yup, you were right. Had to set the input source to “Game Console”. But holy hell, the image looks like crap! Competely over-saturated. Can’t seem to get it anywhere near as accurate as I was able to with PC mode…

EDIT - got the image to look much better after much trial and error. Text still doesn’t look as good in some cases though…

I’m waiting for my q80 to ship. According to the owner’s manual pdf 4-4-4 is only on hdmi port #4 and vrr aka freesync is only on display port. From my understanding you have to choose. There’s a matrix for all this( physical port, display parameters, etc) in the manual. The Q80 is not freesync 2.0.

Oh and the text. Are you aware these qleds might have a bgr pixel orientation? Do you have sub-pixel rendering enabled? I’ve yet run into a Samsung I couldn’t get the text looking nice.

I hate hdr and sub 4:4:4.

Q9fn, 615r, x900f.

Nothing but issues getting hdr to not wash out all colors.

Rgb is fine by me.

so after some adjusting I got the text looking fine. I am on RGB 8bpc. HDR looks mostly fine now on games that support it well.

Also, if you have an nvidia card, be aware that freesync will NOT work over HDMI unless you have an AMD card. hopefully nvidia will fix that some day.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.