Employment for a Brit in the US

I'm a developer with a degree in Computer Technology currently living in the UK, I've got a few years experience with web dev and I hope to use my skills in the US. any advice for a wannabe ocean hopper? I had the excellent fortune to marry a lovely 'merican I met on the interwebs 3 years ago and she has been living with me here since then. I assume that would being married to a native would be a bonus in my favour, But the immigration / work visa advice is lengthy, obtuse and occasionally contradicts itself especially with the complication of an international marriage. I wonder if anyone has any experience with getting hired from over seas as a ex-pat or as an employer of ex-pats if getting a marriage visa then a job or the other way around would be the best idea. 

Kind of an odd request I know, but my wife and I would be forever grateful for any help!

Keep being awesome.

David.

As you're married to an American what's preventing her from moving back and you living with her? I thought that would be the easiest way to get there.

You are better off taking her to Britain with you.

Well being married and getting a work sponsor should make you a shoe in. Go look for jobs in an area you and your wife like and let the companies know that you will need a sponsor. Once you are working in the USA keep working on getting you citizenship, It should be easier with family (wife) in the states and you have a steady job.

Indeed, you can travel with your spouse and then stay there for ... I think it's 90 days? But we discovered with My wife coming over to Britain that you aren't allowed to be in the country while you apply for visas (at least over here and it appears to be the same over there)  It will probably be worth going over there and interviewing, then coming back while visas are sorted out, Having done more research I'm even more confused than I started.

Haha! I won't lie Cathsy I think she will be upset to leave England after living here for 3 years, but the pay is just so much more for programming jobs over in the US it'll be worth it to spend a few years over there. (plus I like the idea of living in a different country even if the US isn't really that different)  Though I will miss the free health care I won't miss the higher tech prices.

Thank you lessershoe, I certainly hope that is the case, I think it's just going to be a case of going for it and seeing what happens, now that my wife is close to getting her British citizenship it would mean that we would be free to come back here at any time without any problems if anything did go wrong with visas/work while in the states. Plus is there a story behind your username? I love it. 

That's a long journey just for an interview. Must be a pretty nice job!

Since you haven't dealt with American health care, Make sure your employer has good insurance; health, eye, and dental. Also in the US you can negotiate your contract just don't get greedy.

Since you haven't dealt with American health care, Make sure your employer has good insurance; health, eye, and dental. Also in the US you can negotiate your contract just don't get greedy. Check for 401k matching and stock purchase/option programs too. 

Vacation is were US companies really fall behind Europe so don't give your hopes up for more than 2 weeks for your 1st year. 

Thank you yes, my wife has told me many a horror story about life without insurance in the US, and it's certainly worth checking up on to be sure on. Yeah I was quite surprised to hear that you guys really do get worked to death lover there. 20ish days is seen as about normal over here, 2 weeks is pretty harsh, and the whole no minimum wage for people in food service is just crazy!