Email client replacement for Thunderbird?

Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement for Thunderbird on Linux? I’ve noticed it’s been slowing down lately, and it’s annoying. Free is good, secure is a must and it has to work with multiple accounts including Gmail. Thanks!

Evolution might work out for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use neomutt.

I’ve found that it sucks the least, but it’s not a graphical environment like you’re probably used to, and it requires a bit of retraining when moving from something like Thunderbird.

Are you working with extremely large mailboxes? Because thunderbird sometimes needs to re-process the mailboxes (compact) to get it all sorted properly and running efficiently.

Thunderbird has always been kinda sluggish and shaky for me.
At least when it comes to imap.
But that could also be an issue at the server side of things of course.

Closing Quick View and turning off auto-run filters helps speed up Thunderbird a lot.

I’ve not found anything even close to being a good Thunderbird replacement, unfortunately.

4 Likes

Hmm, I use Thunderbird on Windows and have imap enabled for my Comcast email.

It seems to work just fine for me and I’ve not seen any sluggishness.

I’ll give that a try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

1 Like

No joke. Firefox filter can be a disaster.

A colleague of mine went on holiday for 14 days and shut down his pc. Thunderbird had to deal with 10 work days of the email firehose that is our buildserver and version control as well as jira. Thunderbird just crashed after opening when the filters ran.

I outsourced some of my thunderbird filters to imapfilter.

1 Like

I can second on Evolution. Its clean looks good and works.

Evolution worked really well for me when I was able to use Linux for work. Neomutt has caught my attention before so I’d add a +1 for that too.

Thanks everyone, I’ll take a look at Evolution and Neomutt.

3 Likes