Return to Level1Techs.com

Elementary OS 5.0 / Ubuntu 18.XX - VFIO PCIe passthrough guide / tutorial

to be honest, i had to tweak it a lot. Single click to open folders/files just sucks, changed to typical double-click, then switched to dark theme, added minimize button back into UI and moved all header buttons to the right, but overlay im happy with it :smiley:

Used my own tutorial at work while moving to linux, since i need Windows VM to run Photoshop + for testing as well i guess (web dev)

Runs fine, Windows VM has few BSODs, but whats weird that photoshop keeps freezing up from time to time, but that could be related to something else, cuz im loading files from SMB share from my linux host, so windows may be just derping connecting to that

i was thinking about this a lot, first tried just RDP into Windows VM, but quality+performance was poor even connecting to local VM, then had KVM in mind, but that would be too much work to keep switching between host/client all the time. Decided to just buy synergy instead, works fine :smiley:

but it really depends, if your VM has dedicated monitor, kvm switch/synergy would be fine, if you have fake monitor plug, guess you could try setting up looking glass.

I decided to just dedicate one monitor, since i had one monitor just for photoshop when i was full Windows anyway

@elixir77 I thought about getting a KVM switch but instead I’m using a “soft switch”, essentially just run a script to disconnect / connect the moose and keyboard from the VM. There’s a little bit of delay but at the moment I have to physically swap the monitor connection (another cable is coming soon) between Mobo and GPU so it’s fine.

I can write up a little guide for that if anyone’s interested.

@wUFr yeah I’ve been planning on trying out synergy but it doesn’t support Wayland yet which is unfortunate. Luckily it’s not too difficult to switch back to X for the time being. I’ll probably use synergy when I get my new monitor.

One more thing, wanted to share these guides. Have some useful information for optimization.

also, decided to change title of this thread a bit, since all this should work on Ubuntu 18+ as well and removed “beta” since i managed to set this all up in fully released EOS 5