Electric Mini Bike Build (In Progress)

:wink: i saw for using what you had it works. and if speed isnt important then dont worry about gears and look at sprockets that give good torque conversion for trails. nothing worse than being stuck in mud from not enough torque.

1 Like

Yeah haha, just thought I’d mention just how last minute it really was, thank you internet lol :joy:

And very true, I’ll run some tests when I’ve tuned the amperage and see how it is. Thankfully there’s tons of snow outside so I’ll be able to test plenty of low traction situations.

1 Like

Hello again everyone! I’ve been really busy the past month or so with classes, trying to find a placement, and of course working on the project itself.

Here’s the progress up to February 2nd:

I first had to replace my hodge podged sprocket with a new one I got off Ebay. It’s a #35 chain sprocket with a MY1020 electric motor mount, which fit like a glove. It fit the chain perfectly.

Next, I had to slightly scoot the motor a bit since the mount was ever so slightly crooked, causing the chain to skip every few revolutions.

I also increased the chain tension just a bit more to remove a little bit more slack. Now it seems that the drive train is finally completely functional.

I even added another spring to the kickstand to replace the old one I used for the chain tensioner.

Finally, I was also having a weird issue where my controller was displaying that the motor rotor was locked in place. Odd, I was trying for the life of me to find out what the hell was going on, turns out the solder from my contactor negative wire just snapped off, RIP.

Here’s the progress I just completed by February 16th:

Firstly, I tested my transistor circuit for my turn signals. It’s an Arduino controlling an NPN transistor, which then goes into a PNP transistor, which then controls the light into the positive. Normally I’d just use an NPN and have the emitter going to ground and the 12V through the light to the collector, but since it has a common negative, I had to do all this crap, but it works! :smiley:

I spent an exorbitant amount of time installing these connectors to replace the electrical tape I had before lol. They worked out great, but were such a pain in the ass to install. I had to completely redo all the main wiring, and then since I didn’t have a big enough drill bit or a dremel, it took forever to bore out the holes since they needed to be quite a bit larger. But at least it works.

This past Friday I spent all day basically mounting the hardware onto the frame and getting it ready for the light wiring.

I mounted on a 48 to 12V DC-DC converter and soldered it onto the positive and negative, and mounted it onto the other half of the project box.

Here I mounted on a side mirror, as well as a motorcycle handlebar switch assembly thing, which a high/low beam, turn signals, and a horn button (although I will be using it as the regenerative brake switch, since the analog regeneration straight up doesn’t work. :neutral_face:

Here’s the other side, with just the mirror and twist throttle.

Here it is so far with all the new hardware on. Now all that’s left mounting-wise is the back taillights, and then a whole bunch of wiring which should be fun. :slight_smile: I also would like to tune the motor for another 1000W or so for a little more low-end grunt.

Finally, I made a PCB to replace my breadboard! :smiley: The bottom is all the motor controller inputs, and the top is all the 12V outputs and the turn signal outputs.

So that’s it for now, and it’s crunch time right now. I have just under 2 weeks to finish everything, make a 5-10 page user manual, and then present it in front of my entire program, as well as all the 1st and 2nd years, so that should be interesting. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

This is so cool! Finally a project! You gunna run this on the road? :U

1 Like

good work. the user manual should not be to harsh after all the work you put into it. dont have to be nitty gritty just cover enough for troubleshooting and basic maintenance and safety ETC…

1 Like

Thanks, glad you like it! :smile: It’ll mostly be for trails around my parents’ camp. I’ll be riding it on the road in between, and perhaps visiting some nearby stores, but not much more.

1 Like

Thanks looming-hawk :slight_smile: and yeah, I’m not too worried about that, it’ll just be a tedious process.