Edge Routers and connecting to the 'backbone'

I live in a small down. About 100 feet from my house is a large fiber optic line, www2 I was told, it was put in to connect all the schools and college etc. in my area. I was wondering what hardware would be required to connect to it?

My inspirational information is as follow;

My local ISPs(ATT) main routing office is at least 40k of trenching from my house, not to mention permits and disrupting traffic to dig up the main road in town to lay a fiber line for me.

Right now I use two dsl lines to sort of achieve 25Mb speeds and I would rather have fiber and doubt any corporation will pay to make it happen in my area.

It sounds like it is a “dark fiber” line. You won’t be able to connect to it. Lines like those are installed for private business and gov use.

Thank you. Ill ask if they are dark lines.

Does ATT own this large fiber line? Or is it some federal or state project just for the local infrastructure?

If you can rent a fiber on it, then most likely it will be way more than you are willing to pay as an individual. It would be within the realm of possibility for an organization like a college or enterprise or even relatively large revenue business, but for a home user wanting better internet you are unlikely to want to pay thousands of Dollars a month for what is probably “only” gigabit line

It was years ago they put in for our rural schools and colleges, Hospital etc. I was told by an installer tech guy that it was WWW2 and would eventually be available to the public