Early benchmarks indicate major DX12 gains for AMD

Here is a relatively recent Mantle benchmark. What everyone has always been saying about the low level APIs like Mantle is that they only really help with cpu bound situations (an rts like Ashes might qualify).

Again your using words that sound way to over dramatic. I've seen no "pissing or moaning". As I've said before in this post. It's far to early for people to be making the assumptions they are and saying stuff like you are just makes you look like a fanboy. AMD is showing some early gains. Cool glad for that. Why act like NV sucks and is getting annihilated blah blah blah....

Another very recent benchmark. Mantle doesn't do so well with high end systems. It is meant for lower end stuff. Likely would make their cpus more viable.

look at the numbers and Nvidia's responses to them. sounds like pissing and moaning / butthurt to me. they just dismissed the benchmark as if it didn't mean anything. typical Nvidia.

NVIDIA: “We believe there will be better examples of true DX12 performance” than Ashes of the Singularity, Oxide Responds

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/DX12-GPU-and-CPU-Performance-Tested-Ashes-Singularity-Benchmark

DX12 may revive the dead corpse that is the current FX series for a bit till AMD releases Zen.

1 Like

nVidia basically said that the people who make Ashes are full of shit. So yeah. Eventually Oxide told them that they were wrong, and that is just how their cards perform and then nVidia shut up.

Yeah, I am hoping that DX12 helps out with the FX line, but I am more interested in linux gaming, honestly. I REALLY don't want to have to use W10 AT ALL. Period.

honestly Vulkan is looking promising. but i think the way things are now, I think nothing will change. Games may be based on DX12, and later on they'll be ported to Vulkan if the developers feel like it. then again, realistically speaking the only gaming that we know that has been confirmed to have DX12 support is Deus Ex. I'm not sure of it coming to Vulkan.

Ark is supposed to be the first DX12 game, starting next week at some point (or rather this week now). And yeah, devs aren't going to bother with Vulkan unless the engine makes it super easy. I think it is Cryengine that basically automatically works for all platforms. Something like that would be necessary for pretty much everything. If we can get games on linux, the gamers can start to migrate, finally.

I think we'll see Vulkan storm the mobile industry on Android more than desktop PCs. They announced Vulkan support for the next version of Android on August 10th this year.

i think that's the issue too, honestly and i ask the question and some of the linux users on the forum, get mad at me for just saying it, from a gaming standpoint at this very moment. WHY should we game on Linux? when everything we're using for gaming now works just fine. then you have people like Microsoft discouraging developers by releasing number "HEY WE GOT 75 MILLION PEOPLE ON WINDOWS! HAR HAR.. developers just need to stop being lazy. they were developing for OpenGL before. i don't see why they don't do it now, now that people are slowly getting on the ball with Linux.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a distro dedicated to gaming either...... oh wait. SteamOS.

But in all seriousness, that is the sole reason I still use Windows. I don't really want to dual boot just so that I can use linux for my daily driver and then have to reboot to play most games. And no, performance on linux is not up to par in most of the things that I am interested in playing for me to bother trying to get it to work there. It works perfectly fine here on Windows so fuck it. I MIGHT be interested in using linux and then windows for games if I had a second SSD, but I don't soooooo. Move gaming to linux and then I won't look back to Windows again. Until then, the main reason that I have a (gaming) pc is tied directly to Windows. Sorry, guys. That is the way it is for me and for a lot of other people (even if they don't realize it considering that the number of pc gamers way outnumbers the number of people interested in linux).

Hey I think its awesome just that you know something besides Windows/Mac exists is enough to make me happy lol. I hate people that act like Linux is perfect for everybody, and everything. It's not even close.

Yes it is very versatile, powerful, lightweight, not to mention an excellent learning experience. However it is not for everybody, and it does not work for everything. There's a time, a place, and a task for linux ... Sadly gaming just is not on that list. At least not yet.

This and Linux is not for the regular consumer. CONTRARY to popular belief from the Linux community. people can learn yes but i don't think they want to, and they don't want to fiddle with the command line. (even though it's good to know) i will bet money, if we were to do a test in the middle of our cities similar to how these Swedish guys did with installing Android on an iPhone 6. (Wendell tweeted this video and i posted it on the forum numerous times) I will bet money most if not all of them would say they "It looks like OS X or it ripped off OS X".

did you mean something like this?

that video is clearly KDE 4. just switching between desktops ave it away. but yeah that's sort of my point that i was trying to make lol

My, how things age. Already looks quite dated and it is from this century, since Vista, even (guessing ~2008). Than again, that is almost a decade. Getting old is weird.

Anyway, I think that a lot of the common folk would be fine with using linux if they ever got around to using it. However, the perception is that you really have to know what you are doing in order to be able to use it effectively and that the common person wouldn't be able to handle it seeing as how most people that use linux do things like use the command line and alter things heavily while the average user does neither. The linux community certainly doesn't help with getting wider acceptance though. They should be more friendly and accepting of each other as well as new users. Most people don't know jack shit about computers, and if they want linux to get any bigger, then they need to accept that. However, I kind of think that they like it the way that it is. They are some sort of "elite" because they can manage to use linux (and even know what it is in the first place). I mean, for fuck's sake, most people don't understand that linux isn't like Windows in that there are many different distros and desktop environments, etc. Expecting them to be able to use a command line is absurd. Make the gui super easy. Make it stable. Make it come on the computer that they are buying (because they don't build their own pcs and don't install different OSs on the prebuilt ones either.

But we are super off topic. AMD does well in one DX12 benchmark of a pre-alpha game. nVidia is upset about it. There isn't enough information to make any direct calls on this, and it doesn't affect how things will play out in other games anyway. People are getting too hype about this.