EA Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Game

If you were hoping that EA learned from the first Battlefront and would redeem themselves in the next installment, you will be sorely disappointed. Apparently, they are wanting to do Ultimate team microtransactions similar to Fifa, I have no idea what Fifa Ultimate team is, But, when I hear "microtransactions" I cringe.

3 Likes

Well the amount of money they make on the Fifa games' microtransactions means they feel it's silly to not cash in on the same sort of idea in the Star Wars universe. It's essentially the digital version of old football/baseball cards.

1 Like

It's both an EA game and a Star Wars game. Any and all opportunity to milk fandom will off course be exploited.

3 Likes

I do think they are slightly underestimating their Star Wars fans though. While many Fifa players may not play much outside of Fifa/Call of Duty and similar titles (speaking from my own experience of Fifa players back in school), Star Wars fans are a little more likely to be in tune with EA practices and a better sense of worth when it comes to video game pre-orders and purchases.

Didn't they have a gambling scandal concerning Fifa Ultimate Team? The reason I ask is because I am the only one in the family that has a computer that can play this and I will have three nephews begging me to buy this game and I don't want them exposed to that sort of thing.

Star Wars is pop-culture by now, the franchise's target audience is pretty much everyone between the ages of 12 to 88.
You overestimate the average human being.

Its EA the only game they did well was the harry potter series. And the 5th one was awesome btw

I used to like Electronic Arts. My mother and I had a game we played on the Commodore 64 by them. I forget the name. It was a single screen platformer and you played as a wizard. It had a hundred levels. That's an achievement considering that it was on a five inch floppy with less than a megabyte of storage. Now, they just swallow up everything and ruin it.

1 Like

I never understand the reasoning that people have when they spend real life money on Microtransactions.

The game already costed upwards of $100 if you didn't preorder, christ on a cracker.

2 Likes

In other news, EA loves money more than their consumers. What else is new?

I feel bad for developers that work for EA as that is probably the only job they could get that pays the bills.

Yeah, the working conditions in the AAA industry are already abhorrent as it is, and now devs also have to deal with the shit being swung at them for choices in executive guidelines and business strategies.
No wonder so many become allergic to gaming after landing a job in the industry.

2 Likes

From the horror stories I read about the crazy crunch times and just huge compromises to gameplay to make money, it definitely feels like a place that could severely dampens someone's creativity and passion, if not destroy it.

In the case of some Ubisoft studios, the officespace culture was to assume that working at least 20 hours of unpaid overtime per week over most of the year was a totally OK thing to do.

When people start thinking that it's a cool thing to have "a good view of both the sunrise and the sunset from their officespace window", you know that the alienation is real.

And then players whine that "the devs didn't bother fixing the bugs". X(

2 Likes

Title edit suggestion:

EA Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Game

2 Likes

2 Likes

EA?

LEARN?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

2 Likes

I generalised, I know, but the likelihood of a Star Wars fan knowing more about games than a Football fan is quite high.

Been requesting from from every release BF3 onwards that I get Squad leader options so half games won't go to managing that, requesting leader or teaching people how to press orders.. its just bullshit.

Then both BF & BF1 went to Metro UI direction with more retard proof loadouts and flying, so the only things for me atm is flying straight up with X-wing and come down with orbital laser style, or camp artillery cannon & tank.

I think that DICE is so far away in deep shit that even pure non-microtrans-gender game is not enough to pull them out of there.

I don't see why not:)