DVR/NVR options for Wireless Motion Operated Cameras

This could be a hardware or software problem. Involving home security devices (IE Cameras)

Here is the situation-

I have a Ring Door Bell, and a few Reolink Wireless Cameras that have local recording on a microSD on the device and can stream and send alerts via the app to my phone.

There are other options of hardware that are available to do the same thing that only activate with motion and dont record 24/7 to save battery.

I need a solution that is battery powered, prefer with a solar panel to keep charged (I don’t wanna go out climb around to chage batteries every few months), and records locally instead of to a service provider.

The Proposed Solution- (Inspired by @PhaseLockedLoop self hosting series, and videos by @wendell on home security) or Project I propose…

With these devices they “Stream” the video to a web source for processing and storage, some also open up a stream on the device at a set IP and port…

I propose possibly a way to set up an NVR instance via a software on a device or a possible service on a VM on a server to “intercept” the video and store it locally and ideally send a email possibly via post fix. Software GUI to view the video would be nice, possibly a interface to view the recorded clips.

Ideas I have had is possibly setting up a proxy to “recast” the video stream (may not be needed and I’m over thinking) and block it from being sent to whoever it goes to (in my case Ring) via DNS blocker utilizing pi-hole.

My Question-
Are there any devices that support this type of use? Or Software that works with these types of devices.

My Notes- I would prefer a hardwired system I could use a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) or NVR (Network Video Recorder) locally using POE (Power over Ethernet). My solution however is most likely not supported by “The Boss.” I know this would make it much simpler.

I know some people need to use the wireless motion activated devices so I wanted to see if anyone has suggestion for this type of ecosystem.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or experience people have with these types of devices. Reading the descriptions and capabilities of devices is one thing, but hands on experience is another especially modifying using it in a diffrent way not relying on the supplied software.

Another note - I am an extreme novice on creating software or proxies etc (down to not even literate in creating software) probably needed to complete a project like this. I am willing to learn get more specific information needed to do something like this.

Would love any feedback from anyone.

1 Like

If you can get an RTSP stream off the camera e.g. in VLC, you could try a software like Frigate to get motion and object detection and triggering.

If you want you could tell Frigate to record stuff by itself,

… or you could proxy RTSP stream to something that records 24/7 with various bounding boxes and annotations.

Check to see if you can get an RTSP stream off the cameras first, and you could try frigate on your laptop for a once/off test.

if this works for you in principle, same software can run on e.g. raspberry pi with an external HDD, or some other kind of permanently on computer/server that’ll act as an NVR…

1 Like