Dumb ways to saturate/test 20/20 gigabit WAN

So… new to the forum and taking a shot in the dark with this.

Long-story short, I live in the Raleigh area and Google Fiber reached out as I was selected as one of the beta testers of their 20 gigabit fiber to the home service.
In the latter half of March, 2024, I will have a new 1U dedicated ONT of some kind and an ugly little box for WiFi 7.

I have 10G devices, but only have a 1/1 Google Fiber service that to be frank, I only ever BARELY saturated when trying their 2/2 gigabit service.

I have a little TrueNAS, some Synology, QNap, and Proxmox devices here. I’d like to actually attempt to push this thing to the limit, ideally in the dumbest (legal) ways possible. I have Ubiquiti devices and 1 or 2 Mikrotiks. Nothing exceeds 10G.

Anyone have any thoughts? REAL test ideas are welcome, too, of course.

I wish I had your problems …

Edit:
On a more serious note. I expect you’ll have challenges on every step of the test setup:

• load gen
  • data transfer
  • data sink

Let’s look at them one by one:

Data sink
I would expect that there is a very limited amount of (free) test services (e.g. free.com) that will handle 20gb gracefully. You may want to setup your own data sync/performance test service. Given that Google will be the ISP I’d spin up a cloud node with sufficient network capacity and run something like iperf3 -s in there. You may need to run a bunch of these in parallel (on different ports).

Load gen
You’ll generate the load using a bunch of iperf3 -c <ip> variants. You need to run them across your devices with 10gb network such that they add up to a 20gb load. Each load gen instance needs to connect to their own data sink (again on different ports when hosted in the same cloud instance).

Data transfer
I didn’t pick up physically how the network will be exposed to you. I assume through a SFP28 port? Multiple 10gb ports? Maybe an old 40gb QSFP+ port? Faster?
Use multiple 10gb connections in house to your ONT.
Use Google network to cloud instance and hope that they don’t limit traffic. Not sure if there is a way to find out.

2 Likes

Fair :slightly_smiling_face:

I will say that for the price, I don’t know how long it will stick around. However, I get at least 1 month at the normal 1/1 rate. So… would like to make the most of it and actually test some things people would be curious about.

I figure I will test some offsite replication, but even that has its limits.

Test how fast Steam servers let you download? I know I can saturate them on 5gb so I wonder what the limit is.

1 Like

Torrent all the FOSS (Debian, LibreOffice, etc.)

2 Likes

These are really great! Thanks, @jode!

The Google cloud instances are a good call. I’d love to see that.

It seems like it they will be bringing out a 1U rack unit with an SFP28 - I THINK.
Also, the rep made it sound like I’d be working with the installers ahead of the actual install to prepare for a clean install. I also scheduled this to be NOT the first week they were doing the installs. So I am hoping they will have a better idea of what to prep for, and anything to ask ahead of time.
I am also betting on them having some tips for testing at that point, too.

@EniGmA1987, I have some Optane drives that are perfect for download testing. Will 100% do this!

MazeFrame - I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one that cares about this. I have had some Ubuntu ISOs on seed for what feels like forever that have basically gone nowhere. Maybe the new connection will prioritize me a bit.
Also curious if I do it unencrypted if Google will get mad I’m using Bittorrent at all…
Also MazeFrame, I can only mention 2 users in a post as a new user, myself. There are a lot of odd rules I am finding whenever I hit submit on a post…

Thanks for the ideas! They are far more useful than my original thought of “8k paint drying” stream with color changing LEDs…

2 Likes

The FOSS seeds sometimes include sizeable universities, which then get prioritized.

New User limitations are in place to keep the spam-bots at bay, which mostly works. IIRC most of the heavy ones should be lifted on your 2nd day here :slight_smile:

1 Like