Dualbooting with raid 0 NVME & Threadripper 1950x

Yeah, this might be a oneoff scenario but hang in here.

My setup:
mobo: X399 Prime ASUS
ssd: Samsung 960 250GB *2 in raid 0
cpu: Threadripper 1950X

I’ve already got windows installed and working with all the special drivers that it required.

Now I want to dualboot it.

How would ubuntu react to this?
Does have Ubuntu (18.10) have drivers for it?
Would it cause some kind of panic if the windows bootloader would “hand off” the raid?

Is this even a valid idea?

I think the best answer would be to simply not use it in raid 0 unless you really need the extra speed.

I think the second best answer would be to try it and find out! and let us know of course…

1 Like

While this is completely the correct way to do it, I feel it does loose the unreliability I get from raid 0 that I so dearly love!

I don’t think I would be able to produce a very good video about it, but you would get a sad post about it not working =D

1 Like

I mean even if you get it working you are still going to have all of the problems with running linux and windows on a single drive.

1 Like

better you than me At least then we all will know!

Hello, I’am also interessted to install Linux on an nvme Raid on Threadripper. My current System is:

• X399 Taichi from ASRock
  • ASRock Ultra M.2 PCIe Card
  • 4 XPG SX8200 480GB SSD

The system should be productive by next year. So I have time to find the best setup. Actually I really would love to use Kubuntu ay main OS. Windows only for special software, but, if it works as VM with GPU passthroug.

But for now I would like to know, if anyone has managed to setup a Raid config with nvme ssd with linux as main OS. And maybee Randel has anything to say about this?

Thanks for your help.

add: https://www.kwikr.de//Howto_Windows_Ubuntu_AMD-RAID.html
Hello, i found this tutorial. But I have not had jet time to test it. Would be great, if someone has the time to go throu that.