Dualboot FreeNAS and Windows 7?

Hey guys, I have built a NAS server based off the Ryzen 2200G. The function of the build is 99.9% of the time a NAS server. However, I would like to be able to use it as an extra gaming PC for esports titles when mates come over.
I was thinking of partitioning one of the drives with 500gb for windows install, but I am not sure if freenas would like that (Freenas is installed on a USB). I’d love to know what you guys think is the best way to approach the sitation?
Cheers in advance!!

Just a thought, if you are able to get a 128GB SSD that you install Windows on and plug it in when you want to game.

Also is Windows 7 even supported on Ryzen 2200G?

3 Likes

If it were me, I would do exactly as @TheIdiotYouYellat said and have another drive with windows. I would probably leave it plugged in but use bios options to keep it from booting unless I selected it from the one time boot menu.

I believe he is right about the Ryzen 2200 windows 7 support as well, though this is likely only a driver issue. With a normal ryzen chip you simply have to do some trickery with the usb 3 drivers on your bootable media to get it working as intended but seeing as this is an APU, im not sure what you will be able to do about graphics. It should install with the USB 3 driver embedded onto your media correctly but graphics drivers might not work. I’m sure someone will find a way to make it work eventually but maybe not immediately. Probably best to go with a modern OS.

2 Likes

I didn’t actually think of the windows 7 / ryzen issue, I guess I will have to install windows 10. Thanks for the reply