Dual Xeon Workstation Build 2018

Hi there i am looking to build a dual Xeon workstation, that i shall be using to edit 2k and maybe 4k video if needed. I will be building the system from scratch and have never done this before, so if you have your head in your hands thinking not again then im sorry :disappointed_relieved:

I am very technical guy i repair electronics for a living thatā€™s why i want to build my own workstation and not just by one well that and to save a lot of money. I am looking to use the E5 2670 CPUs in a dual motherboard, for graphics im looking at a GTX 1050 Card and then 32gb of ram.

I am trying to keep the build low cost but i understand that some things you canā€™t be without!! so thatā€™s why i am reaching out to ask anyone who has built a server PC, to ask what is the best low budget Xeon CPU to use for the build.

I am thinking minimum is a 6 Core Xeon multiplexing.

any help is grateful thanks

1 Like

What version of the e5-2670 are you wanting to run?
Do you have them in hand already?
Also note that building with older hardware is not always cheaper. Motherboards especially seem to rise in price drmatucally as they age cause of limited new stock and other variables.

What software are you going to be using, and how much is ā€˜low costā€™?

Hey I am looking to be spending around 5 to 600 max on the build this is why budget is the best option most of the budget will go on the GPU, CPU and that but should be doable.

I was looking at the first gen E5-2670 and was going to use Windows 10 if that is possible.

Need to know where, mate.

just a note:
as a owner of dual e5-2670ā€™s build, and ryzen.
ryzen 1700x outperforms it.

keep that in mind.

Iā€™m confused do you mean country Iā€™m in the U.K.

Is there another Xeon CPU that would be better to use for the build other then the 2670 itā€™s also hard to compare the 2760 released in 2012 with the Ryzen 1700x when it was released in 2017.

Have you looked and or found a motherboard yet for this build? Used or new?
Reason I ask is you may get the CPUs cheap but the board is gonna be expensive. Not to mention its expensive for an old ass board in computer years.

the 2670 is one of the cheapest, and best xeons out there to get.
If you must be going with dual xeon - this is the best choice for you at this moment.

The ivy bridge xeons are little bit slower in my exp @work, than older sandy since ivy gets hotter.

The intel cpuā€™s suffered in terms of performance with all recent security patches. At work we saw around 15-20ish% drop of performance especially in SQL (some were affected more than others - depending on generation of the cpus, and use.)
So thereā€™s that also - and i assume next patches will bring its performance even more down.

The only con on the ryzen 1700 would be amount of cores and supported memory vs dual e5-2670 build (16 threads vs 32 threads, 64GB vs 1.5TB)

(donā€™t get fooled though cores are not made equal, and in multicore performance ryzen beats it.)

Other than that there are only benefits on new platform, from nvme m.2 slots to ddr4 memory speeds. Cheaper motherboards etcā€¦

Donā€™t get it wrong, dual e5-2670 c602/c612 platforms are very mature - but i donā€™t think youā€™ll benefit from it that much unless you go with linux, play with kvms, and stuff like that.

Not sure why you would want to go with a 2012 platform.

You can get the TR 1920X for Ā£350 here for example. Then you are on an up to date platform.

I would suggest a build like this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wPjjBb

If you are looking for a real challenge look at the post ā€œDell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questionsā€ :

Itā€™s just simply a blade insert, housing a dual cpu ,16 ram sticks 2 pcie slots and 3 or 4 sata ports based on a C602 chip set. You can get these for about 120 USD already populatet with ram and cpus.

specs can be found here:

1 Like