Dual Display KVM -- USB device issue

I recently ordered and received a level1techs KVM (2PC, 2 Monitor, 1.4DP, USB-C 10Gps). Unfortunately I have had just a heck of a time getting it set up correctly.

Where I’m at

• I have a personal desktop (Windows) and a work laptop (Macbook Pro) that I want to run on the same peripherals.
  • The desktop is passing video signal through, but I can’t get the USB devices to work at all. The RGBs do not power on, and no signal seems to be getting past the KVM.
  • Getting a macbook to work with a dock has turned into its own separate fiasco, so I’ve disconnected that side of the system for now.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so please see attached. Blue is currently connected, grey is currently disconnected (but planned)

What I’ve tried

• I’ve ordered and swapped out a lot of cables, including USB C 3.1 cables and USB C-to-A cables.
  • I’ve tried connecting everything directly to make sure it works (can confirm for desktop. not so much for mac)
  • Various USB ports on my desktop
  • connecting a usb-c thumb drive to the desktop port in question (it works fine)
  • at this point I’ve completely disconnected the PC2 inputs. I just want to troubleshoot PC1 in isolation.

I’m sort of running out of hypotheses on this one. Any ideas on what I could try?

Also, if you have any suggestions for Macbook Pro (M3 Pro) compatible hubs, I would be very grateful. I’m 0/2 right now.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Let me know if there are other details that it would be helpful for me to include.

Does it need a driver? if so it’s not hid.

When you try a device in hid you can’t always move it to a usb3 port without rebooting the kvm, this has to do with how the usb3 ports are enumerated.

the usb port from the dock and the mac you will need to use a thunderbolt upstream port on the dock into the usbc port on the kvm.

otherwise this is a pretty normal config covered in the faq and verified working pretty universally. The alienware isn’t likely to work @ full refresh from the mac because Thunderbolt Just Aint Got The Bandwidth, but it’ll work fine @ 60hz. Optionally use a moshi usbc to DP cable to get the full rate from the mac, that’ll work fine. Then two usbc connections to the mac.

Lot of people using caldigit docks just fine w/macs and the kvm. No issues there.

Wendell

Thanks - the tip about if you need to install a driver, it’s not HID tipped me off. I think the razer devices must have had drivers installed at some point. I’ve got it all working now - my confusion was having an HID keyboard, but not an HID mouse.